Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about mid to late 70s and 80s pick up cabs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xCLIFxCATx, Jun 23, 2006.

1. xCLIFxCATx

xCLIFxCATx Registered Member

i have a 80s pick up that i want to drop a 427 in, my problem is that emissions wont let me run it because i wont be able to pass emmissions but i have a 79 pick up (frame and bed ultra rusted due to beach truck) but i was wondering if it would be hard to drop that cab on the frame or if the 79 front clip would even fit on the 84 cab and maybe just do a vin swap? or should i just register the 84 with the 350 in it and then swap after emissions testing, ultimately im just going to drop a 58 apache body and bed on it hopefully this winter

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The 79 is different from the base of the windshield forward. You'd have to swap over the entire cab unless you want to do body surgery.

Since you own both vehicles free and clear, I'd do the VIN swap and call it a day.

3. xCLIFxCATx

yah i think i will

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no major surgery putting the pre-'80 clip on a '81+ cab. swap the wiper mechanisms to the 73-80 (shorter stubs, lets the wipers hide behind the back of the hood) and bolt the clip on.

going the other way is a little more tricky, and involves cutting the cowl to allow the hinges to slide down inside.

make sure to use the body bushings that match the frame. the only thing that may get a little tricky is light wiring, but even that shouldnt be bad at all.

5. xCLIFxCATx

alright thanks, i was thinking about it and i think im just going to drop the 427 in after i register it and hope for the best and maybe i will just need to put cats on or something...