Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about my daily driver.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhellwig, Jun 28, 2005.

1. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I have a 95 s-10 extended cab. When I am criving at night with the high beams on after about a half hour they start on flash on and off. And when I say off I don't mean that they go back to dims. They go off(well the realy go to the daytime running light mode but they just aswell be off). And sometimes it is for a second but mostly they just flash. I put it back on dims for a while then switch back to brights it takes a little bit and they start flaxhing again. This started in winter so I just though that having the heater on full blast was making something kick out but now it is doing it when I have the ac running. I can hear the relay under the dash clicking when this is going on. I need to get this fixed before the decide to go out and not come back on cause I am now going to be driving in the dark everyday.

I am woundering if it is my relay just getting weak and junky or if I have soem other problem that I need to find. Hopefully someone else has seen this problem.

2. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Well it wouldn't hurt to change the relay if it is making a noise and you think that would be causing the problem.. If that don't fix it then the only thing that I can think of is maybe a bad ground or short in the system..

3. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I am planning to do that sometime soon. I just have to remove the peice of junk knee bolster. That is a poor design on gms part putting a bunch of relays and turn signal flashers behind a big chunk of metal. :mad: The sound is normal for a relay though. Just the flashing isn't.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Lights

Have Seen This At The Shop A Few Times. Everytime It Has Been The Light Switch. When They Have A Broken Segment They Heat Up And Expand Seperating The Broken Contact, Cool Back Down And Reconnect And Work Again. This Would Also Explain The Relay Kicking On And Off.

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

So you mean the swith that turns the lights on? Or the dimmer switch? I guess that makes sense scince the highbeam filament in the bulb is probaly higher wattage, thus more current and more heat.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

light problems

the on/off switch was bad is all of my experiances with this problem.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Headlight switch...

Most headlight switches have a curcuit breaker built into them,instead of using a fuse..when it gets overloaded and heats up it trips momentarily and cuts power to the lights..and then rapidly cools off and the lights come back on again...

We sold a great many headlight switches for Crown Victoria police cruisers in my area--seems all the added lights and flashers were too much load for the switch to take for very long,and they failed rapidly...gets pretty scary driving down a dark road at 40mph and your lights shut off!--my brothers Ford ramp truck would do that after driving an hour or more with the lights on!--he ended up using a heavy duty toggle switch and a relay,to make SURE the lights stayed on!..

If you added any off road or driving lights to your headlight wiring,that might be why the switch's curcuit breaker is tripping--or it could just be a worn switch--since the lights stay on 24/7 on newer trucks,thats a good bet--a bad dimmer switch can do the same thing,but they dont seem to fail as often as a headlight switch does,especially since they moved it to the steering colum,and got it off the salty floor!.... :crazy:

8. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Well I did notice that once I got home that the switch felt hot. I think I will go order one tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.