Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about NP208 & Auto Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, Oct 18, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

OK, '87 350 TBI, 700R4, NP208

Here's my problem: I have a short in my wiring somewhere. Whenever I put the transfer case in 4x4, it causes my radio to go out. My hubs are not locking in. It will also cause my radio to go out if I use the dash button for the rear window.

I really need to make sure I've gotr 4x4, since hunting season is here.

If I unhook the wires off of the top of the transfer case, the radio does not go out, but my 4x4 still does not work. SO, I am wondering if I put manuel hubs on the truck, can I leave those wires off of the top of the transfercase unhooked and still have 4x4?

What are these wires going to, a sensor, or a solenoid? I know it's on top of the t-case, just not sure what it was.

Also, if anybody has a better wiring diagram than what Haynes has, I would appreciate it. The t-case and rear window daigrams are not in the Haynes manuel.

2. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

From what I can tell this switch is there just to give you the "4WD" light on the instrument panel. This should have nothing to do with the tcase actually going into 4wd. Automatic hubs are mechanically engaged by the axle turning, not by any electrical input. Personally I prefer to have manual hubs as I can physically verify whether they are locked or not. Yes they will work.

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Got it fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I had one of those fuses in the "radio" circuit that lights up when it blows (otherwise looks like regular blade-type fuse).

From what I can tell, what I did was blew this fuse, several months ago after I put a new dash switch in for the rear window. (I held the switch down to see if the fuse would really light up if I blew the fuse).

Well, after I let off of the switch, the fuse light went back out, and the radio came back on.

I thought it was OK, but my window didn't work. I hadn't put the t-case into 4x4 for a while, so I just noticed that part of it a couple of weeks ago.

I put a regular blade-type fuse in the "radio" slot and all is well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif