Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about off-road trailers???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Nov 13, 2004.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guy's. I'm new to this site. This site is great, has all kinds of info. Well i'm looking for some info on trailers that can be pulled off road with you. What do you guy's have. I am thinking of buying a pickup bed trailer. I want to use a pintel hook set up and put a 4" lift on the trailer to match my blazer. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Thanks for the help.

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard!
    I don't have an offroad trailer, but I want one! I have been keeping my eye out for an old militiary style trailer... the ones that are about 5'x5', pintle hitch, non-directional tires, etc... I think they would be sweet to tow around the hills and carry all my crap.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally need a pintle hitch trailer. If I wanted that kind of thing, I'd make it. standard won't go with the angles you'll need. I've never seen a trailer that wasn't a one off piece that looked like a really good offroad trailer.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have a fullsize and you still need a trailer to haul your crap down the trail you need to re-evalutate just how much crap you need to take with you on the trail.

5. hidesertwheelin

It's not so much for hauling crap down the trail as it is for hunting trips. It's a Blazer so after you have 4-5 guys in it, it doesn't leave much room for gear.

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have a fullsize and you still need a trailer to haul your crap down the trail you need to re-evalutate just how much crap you need to take with you on the trail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try going wheelin / camping for the weekend w/ a wife and 3 kids... then tell me that a trailer wouldn't be sweet to haul all the crap around... By the time you throw in a cooler, spare parts/fluids, tent, clothes, etc... space (even in a K5) runs out VERY fast...

7. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a Blazer so after you have 4-5 guys in it, it doesn't leave much room for gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif sound like its time to get a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try going wheelin / camping for the weekend w/ a wife and 3 kids... then tell me that a trailer wouldn't be sweet to haul all the crap around... By the time you throw in a cooler, spare parts/fluids, tent, clothes, etc... space (even in a K5) runs out VERY fast...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a pickup with a 6.5' bed.

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, a P/U will haul alot of gear, but not 5 people...

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

11. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have one just like this [​IMG]

I paid $400 for it in July, its clean has a aluminum diamond plate top and sits on 35's. I havent had the chance to use it yet but with 3 kids its a must.

12. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ammo trailer above is over 1 and 1/4 ton empty....
    that looks like a m416 below it, or 1/4 ton capacity

you need/want a m101. its a 3/4 ton capacity trailer pulled by m37, m715, m1008 and m1009 CUCV's as well as hummers

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a M105A2 from www.govliquidation.com for $200 with an original top. It is freakin huge, but we take long trips with lots of people. It has 19" of clearance under the axle and a pintle.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What I think would be intresting is a camper with the same lift and tire size as the truck. Next K5 I build will be a first gen. I really like a 6" lift. Sence I enjoy deep woods camping, I think it'd be pretty kewl too have a camper with a 6" lift and large tires too pull behind a K5.

15. hidesertwheelin

Z3PR, that is exactly what I am looking at. Does anyone have anything like this? Pictures? If I put a camper on a pickup bed, should I use blocks or springs to lift it?

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Z3PR, that is exactly what I am looking at. Does anyone have anything like this? Pictures? If I put a camper on a pickup bed, should I use blocks or springs to lift it?

[/ QUOTE ] Defently springs. Of corse if you're only going 2.5" or 4", then a ORD shackle flip might be a good idea. A camper with flex would be really cool.

17. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would get rid of the truck axle and put a trailer axle in it. Save weight, and I think it would pull easier.

I think I would go with blocks for the expense factor. Your not putting power to the axles, so you wouldn't have the classic problems that blocks create in the rear axle of a truck.

And you could rig up a pintel hitch for your receiver and still use it with a regular ball type hitch.

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mine is a 80 chevy p/u long bed with 31" Big O Big Foots. I'm looking for 3 stock blaxer wheels that look like the Baja's that I'm running on my K5. I also have a set of 35's like whats on the K5 if I want to make it look the same as the k5.

If you want to see pic's look at
    My Trailer page

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a 1-1/4 ton trailer just like the one pictured--I had it only 2 weeks when another guy wanted it more than I did!--I used it twice to move a bunch of motors and other heavy junk--he offered me 500 bucks for it,a hundred more than I paid,so I sold it.It towed well,but it was very heavy!.
    I have a trailer made of an old 62 chevy truck frame and 8 ft.bed--unfortunately it has the coil spring 3/4 ton suspension,but its a full floater with 4.56 gears!--it bounces like a basketball behind you,and its a mother&**^$
    to back it up--the short tounge makes it nearly impossible to back it up in a straight line--a word of warning to those thinking of making one of them--they work ok towing foreward,but backing them up is a PITA!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mine tows great forwards and backwards! I love mine except, I still need to find 6 lug axles and 15x8 or 15x7 baja style rims to match my K5...