Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about open element air filter on a 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Feb 2, 2004.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I have been debating whether to cut up my air filter housing to make it an open element. I often hear that its not worth it because it will then be pulling warm air instead of cool dense air. Now, i have a 2" cowl induction hood on my K5, would this possibly help with it drawing cool air? I am thinking i will cut up my housing either way when i put on my J-code intake manifold, but i was just curious if the cowl induction could make a difference.

I was also thinking of modding the housing to accept 2 snorkels, that were run up to the cowl induction vents in the hood. This would also act as a snorkel for water crossing as water would have to completely cover the hood and overtake the cowl. Would this possibly aid in performance? Or would it just be a waste of my time? I would think this would be the best route, even though it would be a little more difficult to make work so i could still open and close the hood freely.

Any thouhgts?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like an interesting idea, although, like you mentioned, it would take quite a bit of mucking around to ensure that the new tubing lined up nicely with the the induction hood and stayed sealed after you opened and closed the hood a bunch of times. I think you would also have to find some way of stopping water from getting in when you drive in the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Another issue you would have to deal with is noise. The factory setup uses a silencer that is hooked to the air cleaner intake tubing. With that removed I would imagine that a 6.2 would be a lot noisier. I guess some guys wouldn't mind the added drone, but it would drive me nuts on longer trips.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Im not to worried about noise, i have more than enough stereo to drown that out. I thought about the rain, but i dont think it would be able to draw that much water back down the hood. the two vents in the hood are pretty far towards the front, they end up being just in front of the air cleaner and are about 6" square. I'll look at it more tommarow, this was just an idea that came to me during lunch at work while i was looking inside the hood.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's a cool idea anyways. Keep us updated, brother!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I butchered my air filter housing so it's now an open element.

IT'S TOO FRIGGIN LOUD... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Seriously, it's way louder than a Q-jet at WOT, but doesn't sound as cool. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

I'm getting another housing from Batmanjr soon...I'll be either going with a larger single snorkle, or just run dual snorkles instead. Much better idea...

Rene

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like an interesting idea, although, like you mentioned, it would take quite a bit of mucking around to ensure that the new tubing lined up nicely with the the induction hood and stayed sealed after you opened and closed the hood a bunch of times. I think you would also have to find some way of stopping water from getting in when you drive in the rain. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Another issue you would have to deal with is noise. The factory setup uses a silencer that is hooked to the air cleaner intake tubing. With that removed I would imagine that a 6.2 would be a lot noisier. I guess some guys wouldn't mind the added drone, but it would drive me nuts on longer trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well one way is to check the 80's firebirds with the hood scoops, they had a seal and a water stop to make sure all is tight and water proof and opening and closing the hood didn't make a difference.
    Copy their design.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I've done some experimenting with the intake system on 6.2L's as well, and I also agree that an open element system is just way too loud.

On a gas engine, there is usually a set of nearly closed throttle plates blocking the intake manifold, so most of the sound is deadened, except at WOT. On our 6.2L, there is nothing between us and the valve train except the air filter assembly... it's wide open.... it's at WOT all the time, because there is no throttle! Plus, there is all that diesel clatter and noise that a gasser doesn't have.

Just try driving down the road at freeway speed with an open element filter for a while, and you'll see what we mean!

You'd be better off modifying the air breather to stack a couple of 3" filters or something like that. I'm still using the stock housing and filter, but I ditched the silencer and ran a 4" hose from the breather to the radiator support. Sort of a ram air effect now.

Casey

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I drove all the way to Moab from Vancouver and back with that open element and no radio /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Looks cool, and it seemed like a good idea at the time...not!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Rene

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I am going to go ahead and see if i can just adapt a single tube up to the hood first, if i can get it to work and it doesnt rob much air, i will cut up the housing and run the second up there. If i find that it isnt working out, i will just figure something out from there.

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's nice...if your deaf...and if your not deaf..you will be!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've done some experimenting with the intake system on 6.2L's as well, and I also agree that an open element system is just way too loud.

On a gas engine, there is usually a set of nearly closed throttle plates blocking the intake manifold, so most of the sound is deadened, except at WOT. On our 6.2L, there is nothing between us and the valve train except the air filter assembly... it's wide open.... it's at WOT all the time, because there is no throttle! Plus, there is all that diesel clatter and noise that a gasser doesn't have.

Just try driving down the road at freeway speed with an open element filter for a while, and you'll see what we mean!

You'd be better off modifying the air breather to stack a couple of 3" filters or something like that. I'm still using the stock housing and filter, but I ditched the silencer and ran a 4" hose from the breather to the radiator support. Sort of a ram air effect now.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing both me diesels have a turbo.
    That makes a big difference in muffling noise coming out of the intake and the exhaust.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Not to mention the other benefits.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif