Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about paint jobs

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by kotton, Sep 2, 2005.

1. kotton

kotton Registered Member

I have no experience with paint shops so maybe you guys can help me out. My girlfriends car has started peeling the clearcoat in a lot of places. Is it possible to have some shop wetsand the clearcoat of and just respray another one on, or will they have to take all the paint off and redo everything.

thanks

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

it wont need to be stripped.. but they will usually need to throw a couple coats of basecoat on, before reclearing... you can't usually just reclear it...

the minimum will usually be wetsand featheredging the bad spots then some base, then clear.. most shops will strip the clear to the basecoat, couple coats of base and clear..

3. kotton

kotton Registered Member

do you think i could get away with doing this somewhere cheap like macco since they dont need to re prep and primer it, since i heard that is their weakspot.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

when it comes to paint job YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR:D

5. kotton

kotton Registered Member

thats not what i wanted ot hear :mad: but its true

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

honestly, i wouldn't.. little bit on the "technical" side for them...

there are a few variables here... the sanding... if you go for just a feathering of the peeled areas, it is generally safer to spot prime that area. the reason being to seal up that feather edge between base and clear.. that is a trouble area. the reason being the reducers in the base your applying to the area will want to lift and cringe that edge.. it can be done, you just need to be aware of it when applying basecoat.. if you prime those areas, it eliminates that issue...

and i wouldn't really want them stripping the clear either.. have to know what your looking at when prepping that way.. the prep of a job like this critical, ie sanding... even when knowing what to look for, sometimes a spot or 2 of primer is recommended..

you could stop by and talk to em armed with that knowledge and see what they have to say... some of the stories i've heard about them have been scary.. i come from a resto shop and highend collision shop so i really hate to see corners cut.... maybe if you sanded it and brought it to them...