Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about painting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Whitetrash, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Whitetrash

Whitetrash Registered Member

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif I am thinking about painting my Blazer and was wondering what the best type and brand of paint gun would be. I've never done it before so I need something that is easy to set up and use. I also need to know if there is any other things i will need (besides paint and primer). I am planning on using acrylic laquer cuz i heard that was the easiest to use. Anything you guys can help me with will be appreciated. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. lt61173

lt61173 1/2 ton status

the gun depends on what you want to spend. I use a craftsman & it is fine for what I paint. Make sure you use some sort of device to remove moisture from the air compressor.

3. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Binks Model 7 is the best gun I've ever used... You can also get an HVLP gun to save a little paint, these are getting more and more common. They where way expensive when I started painting, but they seem to be a lot cheaper nowa days. I would suggest a "Base Coat Clear Coat" system for paint. It will last longer with less maintnance. Lacquer is very pretty if you wet sand and polish the crap out of it. But Base coat clear coat stuff it pretty much spray and walk away. The Base is your color which goes on flat, and is very hard to screw up. Clear is a different story. Single stage paint (ie your Lacquer) is usually a little cheaper because it doesn't use hardeners and stuff. Go down and talk to the Body Shop Supply guys, they can help ya get what ya need. Just make sure you use all the same brand paint stuff and read and follow directions on the can!! A friend of mine mixed up some clear and used reducer in stead of hardener and the paint never dried!! Was gooey for a week before he sanded it off!! What ever paint system you decide to use, grab some junk body panels from somewhere and practice!! Remember Body work is an art!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Good luck
    Sam