Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about pinion angles when doing a 4" shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BlueKnight, Apr 6, 2002.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

question about pinion angles when doing a 4\" shackle flip

Hey Stephen I work at 4 wheel parts and well im debating on going with a 4" shackle flip with you but some dicussion came up about extreme pinion angles when doing a shackle flip. How bad of an nagle does it put your driveline at also with a shackle flip are we looking a lengthened drive line?

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Re: question about pinion angles when doing a 4\" shackle flip

I have the 4'' shackle flip with 1 1/2'' blocks and the pinion angle is within 4 degrees of the driveline, without the blocks it was within 2 degrees wich is where I wanted it to be. I have an NP208 and with the 5 1/2'' the slipyoke was pulled out 1/4'' further than the factory had it after I lowered the T-case 1''. So the problem was never with the driveline length, but the angle in relation to the T-case. With my 5 1/2'' I could benefit from a c/v shaft, but if you intend to just go with the 4'', it will work fine if you lower the T-case 1''.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: question about pinion angles when doing a 4\" shackle flip

Most of the time a 4" flip will point the pinion near the driveshaft which is perfect for a CV shaft. If you want to try a ujointed shaft, you will likely need to shim it down some. It can vary a few degrees just with a small height difference in the springs, we set a guy up with some zero rates not too long back that recorded a 5 degree pinion angle change with a 1" ride height change! So it's no wonder trucks act so much like individuals.
    Driveshaft length is generally fine with the flip, you can typically use the stock shaft with no problems.
    Hope this helps