Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about plastic...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeff427, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

or teflon friction pads on the ends of the leaf springs. I got a nice set of leafs for my 77 K5, but I need new "friction reducing pads"(for lack of knowing the technical term /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif ). Where do I get replacements for cheap? Or if any one has a decent set laying around that you aren't going to use, let me know, I will swap stickers for them /forums/images/icons/grin.gif.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Should be able to get them from National Spring or any spring shop. </font color>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, any spring shop should be able to set you up with the anti-friction pads. But they won't be made of Teflon. Teflon is a pretty soft plastic, that "cold flows" under pressure. It will literally deform and squeeze itself right out of a high pressure situation.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I think that the better ones will generally be made of Delrin, but that's kind of a guess... </font color>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The slip pads are made of UHMV urethane or something (jekbrown know's the exact name... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif )

I just priced them out at a local spring shop for my buddy's 89 Blazer springs. I was quoted 47 cents each... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif These are the factory replacement pads and require the oval hole at the end of the spring to clip to.

Rene

6. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

47¢ each Canadian? So that is like 15¢ each US, then right Rene /forums/images/icons/wink.gif? J/K /forums/images/icons/grin.gif. Yes the springs I have, have the oval holes in the ends. Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene is what you mean, right /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That would be the stuff... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif prolly 16 cents US though. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Rene

8. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Another option for your purchase is your local Dodge dealer. There is a TSB (tech. service bulletin) out for the Durango's and Dakota's. They have an issue with the springs making a clicking noise. The fix is new spring tip pads along with a few other peices. There is even some cool lube for them. Anyway... you can buy these there. They require a hole in the spring tip to mount. Since im not at work right now I dont know the part #. But this is a common problem and all dealers will have them in stock to sell.

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Hey Tori, cool sig /forums/images/icons/grin.gif. If you get a chance, I would appreciate it if you could post up the part no. for those. My local Do*g* dealership is the crappiest place on earth to buy parts from. But I would like to get them ASAP, so if they have them in stock, it might be my only option for getting them quickly. Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gah, go to a plastic supplier and get some UHMWPE (translation: ultra high molecular weight poly ethylene). This stuff does NOT cold flood, greatly reduces friction between leafs and just plain works. Check out my web shots, I post pics in my shackle flip gallery where I show how I used UHMWPE in my rear springs.

J

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What was the exact length and width you ordered, and how much was it?

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think I got around 22-24'... and I did both my rear springs with that much and had a few feet left over. Of course this would change depending on the # of leaves and the length of your springs. It comes standard on 3" wide rolls... which you can trim down with good scissors to 2.5 or 2.75 or whatever. I forget the exact cost... its been 8 months since I bought it... I'm thinking around $1.5/ft.

J

13. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Jekbrown, what keeps the UHMW from working out from between the leafs? I am sure that setup will work great, I'm just not sure how to keep it in there /forums/images/icons/confused.gif.

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

About time someone found a good use for plastic.....hate seeing the stuff on car bumpers and doors, etc.