Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about rear Ford springs...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Jul 8, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

So a guy I know is willing to give me the rear springs off his '86 ford. He had converted his truck to 4x4 so he has the 2 wheel drive springs in the rear. It seems the difference between the 2 wheel drive and the 4 wheel drive are that the 2 wheel drive springs are not as wide...but the same length.

Could/should I use these and build different spring perches?

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

The ones ya want are 2.5" wide from an 86 to 96 F150.There are also 3" wide ones though but they wont work because they wont fit into the spring hangers or the rear shackle.I got mine off of an 87 2x F150.That would be a good score for ya if they are the right ones /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, 2.5 wide by 57 long with a 25" pin offset and 4 leafs plus an overload...

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

So on that same premise, I could go purchase a new set of springs for a 2WD and drop them in to my truck? I have BorregoK5's shackle flip... which can be rotated to allow for a 3" relocation or the shackle towards the rear of the truck too... Is that all I need to do?

-Dan

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

You'll need a longer shackle as well. The 52" hanger with the shackle flip puts you at 53". The stock shackle is 4" long which would get you to 57" but it would sit horizontal (useless). With an extra 2" in the shackle (6" shackle) you sit at the same height as the 52" and stock shackle but with much more droop capability when those 57's return to a free arch of 53" eye to eye. Like this -
    [​IMG]
    I'm still running an old shackle flip bracket, but the dimesnions are about the same.
    [​IMG]
    The tire is not off the ground yet, and the shackle is still straight up and down (this is about where I'm hanging on my shock right now anyway)
    [​IMG]

6. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

BorregoK5, what spring rate do you think that ford 57" spring is?

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The ones in those pics were my hybrid half ford half chevy leafs and were a little stiffer than the straight 91 f155 ford packs I'm using now. At free arch they sit 9" from eye to eye center line and the spring plate, with weight on them they sit nearly flat, perhaps 2" high still, leaving 7 inches of settling with the weight of the back end of my truck. My truck was weighed at 4250lbs with the top on and full tank but before the 14b and Dana60 swap. I figure the truck minus axles and tires probably weighs somewhere around 3700lbs, plus the 500lb engine augment to the front would leave the back at around 1350lbs. Divide 1350lbs by 7 inches and I would assume the spring rate is around 192 pounds per inch. Definately feels that soft!