Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about relief spring

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jp0863, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

is there a relief spring in the oil filter housing which may cause low oil pressure if broken or bent? i explained my issue's to a mechanic, he is not a diesel expert by any means, but just a real nice guy i can usually ask any stupid question to. he says there is a relief spring inside the oil filter housing which may cause erratic oil pressure.

my issues: when i first start it the oil pressure is good. shut it off about 40 minutes later and restart it, the oil pressure is nearly gone. shut it of again about 20 minutes later, restart it and oil pressure is back up.... what the heck i say..... when it is running with little oil pressure, it runs fine, no extra noise as i would expect it to do, just keeps chugging along. so does the oil relief spring sound about right?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Usually when that happens it's the guage.
    Guages are cheap, replace it and see if you still get the same erratic behaviour.

3. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it's a new autometer and the 2nd gauge i have tried. both gauges had the same result. i suppose it is possible to have two sending units that are bad. i guess ill have to try the old way with a manual gauge on the sending port.