Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about shackle flips and spring mount relocating??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Supreme70, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

What is the Avantage or disavantage of run a shackle flip besides ease of installing. Will I get more flex from less spring or the same amount, Thinking of running the bds 6 inch springs on my 87 short box, but looking for more info on relocating and running smaller springs.

2. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

Doesnt anyone have a opinion about this matter come on help me out guy's.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

a flip will give you better ride and flex.. it allows for a flatter spring.. not sure why you want to relocate the shackle.. on the K5's with stock 52's, if you relocate the hanger and run 56's, it will help with flex.. thats what i'm planning on... longer spring will flex better at the price of easier axlewrap...

if your looking for 6" of lift, i would recommend a 4" flip and 2" springs, unless it sees heavy towing use.. and a just spring lift is way easier.. bolt on flips require gas tank removal..

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

A shackle flip gives you ~4" of lift. Relocating your mounts generally isn't necessary. If you do a shackle flip with stock springs, you get the lift but still reain the ride quality of the stock springs. You can relocate your mounts if you go to a 56" spring, or ford 57" springs. Or you could buy the ORD or Sky flip bracket and use those to move your mounting point backward. The Sky brackets have an extra hole to move the shackle back, with the ORD brackets you just swap them side for side. I recently put ford 57" springs on with an ORD flip and swapped them side for side to move the shackle back. Hope this answes your questions,

5. Supreme70

Supreme70 1/2 ton status

Im looking at moving the front springs mounting point down with brakets so I can run a smaller spring and get the ord shackle flip for rear but I have been told that a BDS spring set will ride as nice or nicer than stock, Just trying to get to the bottom of it all.