Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about shimming 4" lift and or about dropping the tranny a little?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 4, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Question about shimming 4\" lift and or about dropping the tranny a little?

#1 OK, what are the 'Normal' shim sizes that are used in a 4" spring lift kit (rear and or Front if needed)? Whats a good starting point to bolt in right off the bat?

#2 I haven't planned on doing the tranny drop, should I do this with or without a shim? Options?

#3 If I used an off-set shim in the front (push the front axle forward 1", then nip the front fender a little) Do I need to lengthen the drive shaft on the front with the relocation on a 4" spring?

2. jjlaughner

Re: Yeah another lift, shims question

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif DO A SEARCH /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

wow, thats creepy, you answered yourself... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    wow, thats creepy, you answered yourself... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm the only one to answer it too /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    It was a joke, I done a couple of searches and come up with a couple things but I just wanted to make sure /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Re: Question about shimming 4\" lift and or about dropping the tranny a little?

Answer to #1 I believe a 2-4 degree shim is the norm. "A good starting point right off the bat" no shims at all.

Answer to #2 I have a 4"lift. I did the 1" drop on my crossmember and used no shims in the rear about 4 years ago and have a yet to break a u-joint from just driving down the road. From wheeling yes... highway and street no. I would highly recommend dropping the tranny/tcase 1". As far as shims...measure the angle of the rear of your tcase and the angle of your pinion yoke they should have the same angle or at least as close as possible to the same. Determine if you need shims or not from the measurements you come up with.

Answer to #3 It's a strong possiblity, but if money is tight you can buy a spacer for the front of your tcase which is usually cheaper then getting your driveshaft lengthened.

Hope some of this helps.

Michael

6. Taylor

Taylor 1/2 ton status

For my 4' lift I used a 4 degree shim, and droped the T-case 3/4 inch. A 4 degree shim is a good place to start, bust out the angle finder and work out how much you need to drop your T-case.

7. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Shims are BAD NEWS... no no no!

Only way that a shim would be ok, is if it actually bolted into the spring pack in a way that didn't bend the center pin.

EDIT - let me elaborate...

Shims will strip Ubolts, brake center pins, fall out, screw up steering, and are a ghetto fab way of pointing the diff toward the t-case. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

Shims ...are a ghetto fab way of pointing the diff toward the t-case. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

More ideas, pics, I have a built Dana44 so I'm not going to reindex the diff (turn the center part up leaving the shafts at level ground). If someone has a write up I may think about doing to my 14bolt that I'm building now.

9. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Shims will strip Ubolts, brake center pins, fall out, screw up steering, and are a ghetto fab way of pointing the diff toward the t-case. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you suggest? Reweld the spring plate?

10. joshua

joshua Registered Member

On my 79 K5 with 5" it works well with:
    -No transfer case spacer.
    -Remove rear driveshaft, re-install backwards.Simple. Works.
    -I made wedges cut from tips from the original factory overload springs, cut 5" long with centerbolt thru it for rear springs.Looks like it came from a kit!!
    -no blocks, shims, wedges, etc allowed on front axle. My spring perch is custom and is 1" lower and rearward than stock. Along with 1" longer front shackles, steering geometry remains stock (just adjust draglink)and stock front driveshaft doesn't need lengthening
    ~steers straight, brakes hard predictibly, only a little more vibration than when stock.

Ps what comes in a kit is not always the best way to do it-just look at their idea of brake-line extensions!!

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I runt he 3* degree shims that were included with y Superlift springs on a 6" lift. I do not have a tcase drop on either of my K5's.. On the '82 I had a set of 4" HD Superlift springs up front with shims and no t-case drop. I do not believe in dropping the tcase since it lowers clearence and puts your t0case and stuff at more risk of damage...

12. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got some shims under my front 4" springs, but I think my steering is a little squirrely. I keep debating about removing them, since the angle stuff would only come into play in 4WD, off road, and slow. Maybe more risk of exploding a U-joint? I don't know if this matters much compared to having better steering on road, where I am 99% of the time anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif