Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about shock bolts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I broke the Pass side top shock bolt off. Can I just use a regular bolt or will the threads screw the sleve up?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you talking about screwing the rubber bushing up in the shock?

Yes, it will probbaly tear that up.

Yours being an '89, are the bolts pressed into the mount, or is it still setup with the nut on the backside holding it in place? I'm sure you can buy a new bolt if thats the case, but you better inspect the mount itself before replacing just the bolt. $12 last I heard for the bracket, and believe the part numbers been posted on this board as well.

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Its got a nut on the back side.

It's like a 9/16 stud on one side and 1/2" on the other. The 1/2" side gets the shock and Ive got metal bushings for the shocks. I'll go search for the part #

4. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

The shock mount "posts" do indeed have a nut on the back side-- a jam nut. An impact wrench is the best way to seat this item properly. In addition, these "bolts" have a smooth surface that rides in the shock bushing. It's a special item, not general hardware.

Hope this helps...

Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's also not a bad idea IMO to tack weld that bolt back in place. Common failure for that bolt to wallow out the hole in the bracket, then the bracket itself fails.

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

just to let you know, i've got 2 of those brand new with all the washers and both nuts. if you'd be interested in them just let me know with a pm.

rick