Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about slot mag wheels.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by norville, Nov 6, 2006.

1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Hey folks,

I picked up a set of mags the other day. They are 8lug slots fronts are 8.5x16.5 4.5bs and the rears are 9.75x16.5 4.75bs. I'm havein some issues with the lugs.

I know I have 9/16 threads.

do the washers hold the rim on or do the shank style lugs hold them. The fronts arent a problem the standard lug shank nuts will fit the holes and they should be about flush in the back with the washer right???

The rears are an issue the holes are larger than the 9/16 shank do so do I need inserts to tighen them up or do the rears center on the washers.

PO had them on a ford that had 1/2" lugs on the rears he had a few (like three per tire) inserts on the rims to mke the holes smaller and he used conical style lugs.

1 do the rims center on the washer?
    2 how long should the shank be??

Any help if you can follow my dribble.

bob

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

lugs center them. sounds like you got shafted on a crapy used part. i have never seen spacer tubes to install between the lugs and rim like you need from the sounds of it.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Old school mag lug nuts have a part that extends down into the stud hole. That more or less centers the wheel on the axle. There are heavy washers that fit down over that reduced diameter of the nut. The larger diameter of the nut presses them against the outer face of the wheel at the stud holes.

4. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    OK, I found pep boy's carries the shank style lugs nuts. I picked up a set and they're too long, they stick out past the wheel mounting surface on the rears. They are not the long style but The internet sells a shorter style.

They must be shank style correct?? I nean I can't use the intergral nut/washer style?? I'm assuming the shank steadies the lugs?

#2 These lug nuts won't fit in the fron wheels. A smidge to narrow. I don't know if they just need to be cleaned out or can these be opened up a 1/16"

thanks,

bob

5. Dr. Morgenstern

Dr. Morgenstern Registered Member

Tecumseh, Ontario (across from Detroit, Mi)
    Not sure, but I hope you get it figured out.

6. blazer74

blazer74 Member Premium Member

The shank of the lugs must fit the hole in the wheel. The washer presses on the outside of the wheel under the shanked lug. Measure the hole in the wheel and the depth of the lug holes and get your shanked lugs accordingly. Make sure the shank is just shorter than the depth of the lug hole with the washer installed. If you cant get the correct size to fit the lug holes I wouldnt use the wheels, could have been reemed out. not worth having a wheel come off. I have the six lug version on my blazer, and remember these are wheels are thirty years old if they are the original slot type. Make sure they are sound.