Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about slugs..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Feb 19, 2006.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone, i'm getting real close to purchasing everything else i need to finish building my front 60. I'm getting some 35 spline 4340 shafts, 300 m joints, and a detroit. I'm also looking real hard into getting some slugs. I've done some searches here and over on pbb, and came up with some helpful info, but i was hoping some here has some experience with a detroit, slugs and some mild street driving. This rig is not going to be trailored but wont be driven more then 40 miles at one time on pavement and will be driven to trails, unless they are pretty far away. My question is how many drive on the street with a detroit up front and slugs? Also i've heard of people taking out the slug, to drive on the street. Which companies offer this option, and does anyone have experience or pictures on how to do this ( i'm new to the slug world)? This rig is not going to be a daily driver any more, but i will drive it once a week, to keep everything in good running condition. So i guess my main question overall is, should i purchace some slugs, or selectable hubs? Thanks for all the help in advance.
    Cory

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Readymix has a detroit front and rear and daily drives his. He does not have slugs but he keeps the hubs locked which is pretty much the same thing. Might shoot him a PM.

Ira

3. k5 krawler 50

cool thanks i will do that.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If the Detroit locker is working properly you should NOT notice it on the street when in 2wd even with front slugs (or hubs locked in). I have a Lock-right front which should act the same as a Detroit and run slugs, it gets trailered but I do run it around town and down the freeway from time to time just to check everything out and have no problems.

Yes, you can remove the slugs for road driving if desired and I know 78Buford did this for years. The easiest solution IMO is to buy the push-on style factory caps to run when the slugs are removed. You can buy new ones from places like Randy's R&P and they cost around $15-$20 for a pair of them. Once the slugs are removed you just place the cap on the end and tap it a few times with a hammer. Removing them is the opposite.

Some companies offer slug (also known as drive flanges) that use a 3 piece design. You have to unscrew the cover, remove the snap rings, remove the retainer piece, remove the slug......than reinstall the retainer, snaprings, and re-screw on the cover. It would work fine, but I think the push-on style factory caps would be much faster.

5. k5 krawler 50

cool thanks for the help.
    Cory