Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about springer type suspensions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB-v1.0, Dec 28, 2004.

1. TB-v1.0

TB-v1.0 Newbie

I realize they are the AK-57 or what ever they are called now but do they unload like revolvers. I personally know 2 people with revolvers one on an fj40 and one on a cj7 and when ever they go down a hill the rear end wants to do a cartwheel.

Any personal experience with this happening?

I would also like any opinion on using this type of "flexible" shackle on the front springs. I am thinking if a person was to make the rear of the spring fixed to the frame and then use a springer type of bar off of the front spring mount, using some sort of a stopper so it would not over stuff a tire, this would increase droop and keep the pinion angle pointing at the tcase when the pass side drops. I guess I get this idea from seeing revolvers on the front of some cj's

Oh yeah, this is a tube buggy based on a chevy frame so it will see 100 miles a year at the most and no street use so 10 mph will be as fast as this thing goes.

Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have seen no crazy unloading of Springer suspensions on downhills. I have seen them used quite a bit to. I wheel with Marv Springer himself and a few guys who run the Springer rear alot. I would not worry about it trying to go over the top on a downhill. It will unload but learn your rig and it is no big thing. I have seen TheRobZilla's rig in Moab on some steep downhills on Hell's Revenge Trail and it never tried to endo him.

As for swapping the front shackles on a front spring to a revolver setup I would NOT do it. I have seen revolvers up front and they flex like a demon but I think there are better ways to accomplish front flex. 52" front spring swap for instance.

The Springer setup works get out here in the AZ rocks. It is a good setup and definitly a better alternative to a revolver I honestly believe.

Harley