Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about steering wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Oct 15, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

does the older 73-87 steering wheels use the same mounting stuff as the 89-91 blazer/sub steering wheels?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Same mounting stuff? You mean like a 4 spoke Astro (same as the later truck ones) steering wheel in place of the stock 2 spoke ones like ours have? Yes, they are a bolt on.

Don't believe ANYTHING changed, although the little horn piece that comes through the lock plate may be of a different style which is also interchangeable.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeppers..they are teh same...I have a 1990 Steering wheel on my 1987...its much more comfortable IMO...

Chris

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 91 IFS style truck wheel on mine. Just need to figure out the horn part, but other than that it fits and works just fine. It's smaller diameter and a bit 'fatter' and I also think it's more comfortable...

Got mine for a whopping $10. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok maybe ill try and swap em..my cousin vistited me and he bourght me one he got from a junk yard..but all the pieces like that were missing..and the horn button does not stay attached to it there just a little clip thingy on the back of the horn button and thats it..so i dunnpo..sure would like to use it though they look much better i think

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got my wheel out of a 91 full sized van...and my horn even works rene /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the horn cap is suppost to snap into place correct?..on the wheel..i think my horn cap is missing stuff it doesnt have nothing on it to snap onto the steering wheel

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yeah, it should snap into place, yours might be missing the little "cleats" on the button that hold it in place. If so, go to a yard and find another button.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i would probobly go find a another wheel all together but my cousin gave me it so its kinda speacial or somethin like that /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif