Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about swapping to manual hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85blazerk5, Jan 24, 2005.

1. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

Hey all, I have auto hubs in my 85 and I was wondering how much trouble it is to swap them to manual ones? Is it something I can figure out even though I'm no mechanic or never done much work on trucks? I think mine are bad and from what I read, the autos are crap anyway. Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

yes you can do it, its very easy (once you know what you're doing).. may be worth it buy a chilton/haynes manual for your truck, they have exploded diagrams of the hub that will help a lot
    about the only "special" tool would be a set of snap-ring pliers, but it can be done without them

3. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

Thanks

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I have snap ring pliers, so no big deal, I will order me some and go to town.

4. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

they are very easy. once you get them apart youll see that they arent difficult at all. just be carefull with the bolts that hold the outer cap on. theres 5 or 6 of em. there tiny and might break due to corrosion.