Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about t-case drop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jun 3, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

hey guys i need to pick your brain here...

my k5 ('82,465.208) has a 4 inch lift on it...blocks in the rear..and my driveline/pinion angle is real ugly, got some nasty vibrations on the freeway..after spending a lot of time laying on the ground staring at it. i notice that the pinion is eaither to high, or the t-case is to low.

now my t-case has been dropped..looks like about 1.5 to 2 inches by po..and if i took the t-case drop out, and put the t-case back up to the factory location the angels would be a heck of a lot better....

so who has a four inch lift? and do you have your t-case dropped?
    does it really need to be droped for a 4? i know a 6 yes..
    i'm worried if i lift it back up, will the drive shaft be ok, or will it fall out(dang 208 slip yoke)

i'm tight on money, so getting different blocks, or shims, or cutting and welding perches is out of the question for now..but the t-case lift is free..so thats the direction i'm leaning...
    let me no what you guys think

thank you...
    please drive foward

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I suppose you'll just have to try it. I've done several 4" lifts, blocks, springs, shackle flips... Some have needed it, some don't. I guess if the rear springs get fagged out at all, it has an impact on it. It only takes a little time, and it sounds like your only option at this point. Personally, on my K5 I did a shackle flip, and drove with the transfercase in the stock posistion, got some vibrations and dropped it and now it's fine. Like I said, I think you'll just have to go ahead and do it if money is tight. You can always put it back if it's worse.

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Also, for the driveshaft slipping out, I don't think it matters much when you're only dropping it 1/2"-1 1/2" -- i've never had any problems with that.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have a 4" lift and my T-case is dropped about 3/4 - 1".
    It works fine with no vibrations.
    If money is tight, just use longer bolts, washers and put the cross member under the frame. This way it's easy to try different heights.