Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about Table Mesa

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by m1ndless, Mar 5, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I have a few questions about Table Mesa. I am new to the off roading community, I just bought my 79 blazer and I love it. My buddy said definetly head up to table mesa once I get my suspension in, I am taking out my 4" blocks and switching to full suspension lift in the front and shackle flip in the back.

But my quetsions about table mesa are..

Is it a good place for a newbie?

Is it cool to take my quads out there or is it mainly an truck trails?
    Is there alot of trails or just one big one?

I think thats it for now.. :doah:

2. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Those are all good questions actually..

Its good to hear you will be getting your rig set up to do some decent wheeling too! Now then..

Yes its a great place for a noob! Anywhere you can get your tires dirty will help you learn how to drive offroad. Try to go with a few experienced guys and watch & learn from them.

You CAN ride quads out there, but not in the same places you would be taking your blazer. Theres a large river bed to ride in, as well as the road to the lake etc. Its mainly wheelin trails tho.

There are many trails out there from moderate to hardcore 5.0 rated trails. Once again, get somebody who has been there to take you around and show you whats what.

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Yeah my friend has a 89 Jeep and he takes it out there alot, I think we might head up there friday morning. Its legal to wheel out there right?

Yeah, I am getting my rig all set up, I will be putting some wider, bigger tires on by summer, maybe 33 x 12.5 R 16? Not sure yet.

I like doing donuts and stuff in the mud, I havent done much more than that with yet yet, all flat surfaces with no debris haha. I can't wait to take it up tehre.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

When you do arrive, drive slow, and look around. You see all the trash? You see the shooting debris? You see remains of burned up cars? Just FYI, NONE of that was there 7 years ago, it was great desert, and good people. Makes me sad (and angry) every time I drive through to get to the trails. Be careful, and show respect, no matter what the other morons do.

I'll take you around out there, if you want.

Fred

5. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

will you take me out there fred, cook us up some fried chicken and make a date out of it. LOL HAHAHA. j/k man.. nate

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I used to be into paintballing and dirtbiking, ive done MANY trail/land cleanups, I camp every few weeks, I am all about keeping the stuff clean. Its the jackasses like them who get stuff closed down and ruin it for the rest of us!! [/vent]

Is it a bad idea to head out there by myself on friday if my friend cant make it? I wont do any crazy stuff I just want to check out some of the trails and such.

7. NateInChandler

yes, you can go out by yourself, but be sure NOT to try anything crazy because its the stupid stuff that will get you stuck, take these items with you if you dont have them already

High lift jack, this will work wonders getting you unstuck
    2 gallons of water
    1 quart atf
    1 quart oil
    power steering fluid
    brake fluid
    a spare tire and wheel
    tools, just some sae wrenches and such
    and whatever else im missing. haha
    Make sure you let someone know when you plan on going and when you plan on being back so if something happens we can come find ya....have a good time and be safe man, keep it clean and simple.. some of the trails look easy but get tougher as they go... Nate

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

What is a High Jack Lift? And what is ATF?

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You won't find any of the trails unless you know where they are. You will drive around all day and drive right past most of them. You should probably head out there with someone who knows the area and where stuff is.

ATF= automatic transmission fluid

Harley

10. NateInChandler

a High lift jack is a ratcheting type jack that will basically out lift a stock jack.. they make them pretty stout and they can lift to i think like 57 inches or so... workes great for getting you un-stuck (rock stacking, but be sure to unstack the rocks when your un-stuck), and they work really well for other things too, atf is automatic transmission fluid.. i always carry some just incase you blow a line or something... good to have, cause if it slips your done, its rebuild time... Nate

11. NateInChandler

thats true, lower raw deal was hard for me to find (prolly the easiest trail out there) and ive done it 3 times now... you hafta know these roads or you will end up getting lost, prolly better to have someone there with you that knows these trails, that way you dont get lost... Nate

12. Hossbaby50

Hi-lift jack. Get one from Eric or the guys out at Desert Rat Tempe.

[​IMG]

Harley

13. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I just want to wander around and such, when I get off the I-17 at table mesa, do I go west or east??

How much is a high jack lift?

14. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Alright, I am going to check out both sides and see what there is. I am taking my quad out there too along with a few friends. I think I might head out there around noon or so, I am going to hopefully pickup a Hi-Jack lift from desert rat or somewhere before I go. I might not do alot of wheeling, just check out everything there is. I am still on blocks for now, I am putting in my suspension lift next week sometime, so I dont want to do alot with the blocks because I have read that its a pretty bad idea.

So any tips for taking my quad out there? Just steer clear of the wheeling guys and such? I don't want to be a nuesence haha.

Also, my quad has a nail in the tire, think it will be okay for awhile on fix-a-flat?? Or would slime work better?

15. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Not very friendly are we? What happend to sharing the trails? Hahaha

16. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Dude if youre really interested in seeing what its about, take up fwp on that offer. He knows that place like the back of his hand [which he often stares at quietly for hours:haha::haha:]!!

Id prefer that nobody goes alone, but if youre in good shape then hell its not that far of a walk.:doah: Ill hook ya up on a "high jack lift" and Ill even show ya how to use it..

17. Hossbaby50

The guys out at Desert Rat Tempe (on Rural) are kick arse. Kyle (blaza) works there along with a few other guys who are wheeling buddies and are totally cool. If you let them know who you are and your from here sometimes it can help your wallet stay a little heavier. When I spend money I try and spend it there as do alot of guys. There are other good shops around town but I would rather help keep my friends employed then strangers at other places.

Harley

18. Hossbaby50

P.S. Wheeling with blocks is not the greatest idea but light wheeling with blocks shouldn't be anything terrible. I wheeled with 2" blocks for awhile with little problems. It will just add some axle wrap so be nice on the gas pedal to keep it under control.

There is plenty of light wheeling/fireroading (non-rockcrawling) to be had in the Lake Pleasant, Crown King, Table Mesa, Bloody Basin, Verde River areas up there. All those areas interconnect via fireroads. I have done some of them and they can be pretty cool drives. I encourage multiple vehicles if possible though and to go out prepared for anything.

Harley

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

And while your talking about wheeling here ( Az in general ) , visit the State trust land permit sticky .

Some of the trails we run , we need to cross that land . Not all do , but hey whats another 15-20 bucks when you already have the truck and upgrades , and gas , and so on :thumb:

20. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Well, I ride dirtbikes as well as wheel, and believe me I could way more than match any irresponsible quad/bike rider story with ten times worse from irresponsible wheelers, but we NEED to get over all that and work together to keep lands open so we can have places to wheel/ride. I just sat with 10 "greenies" in a land use planning meeting for the Tonto National Forest and THEY don't give a crap what you are on or in. If it has a motor and wheels they want us off all public lands and if we can't pull together to fight it, they will get their wish.