Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about the 4WD... (kinda noobish)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Feb 26, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Dont be hatin' but I have a really noobish question, I just bought my 79 blazer, and this is my first ever 4wd truck, so I am not sure exactly how to work it. I have the locks on the front hubs.

So how exactly do I use the 4wd? Do I put it in N(uetral) and hope out, lock the hubs, then use the 4wd? It has 2 2loc N 4 4 loc, I think right now its sitting in N (the 4wd is), should it be in 2?

If I want to some romping and do some minor off roading do I use 4 or 4 loc?

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

to put it in 4wheel drive you put just put it in park, get out and lock the hubs, then get back in a put it in "4" on the stick, then to get out of 4 wheel drive you just put it back in park, put the stick back into 2 and get out and unlock your hubs. for normal driving around town and offroad when u dont need 4 wheel drive, you put it in 2. hope this helps you

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Right now its in N for the 4wd though...is that bad? Should I put it in 2?

4. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the transfer case is in N and it still moves the truck?

5. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

It must be in 2 then, I cannot tell...

6. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Yeah if it does, its not in N. Does it say 4loc or 4lo? If its lock it might be fulltime 4wd but since you have locking hubs I assume its partime

7. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I thought it said 4 loc, I will have to check.

8. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

if it says 4hi loc, 4 hi, n, 4 lo, 4 lo loc, thenyou have the np203 (which i believe you said it has a loc position). The 2 loc postions shouldnt be used unless you are offroad because it puts the drivetrain in a bind. The other positions are for on pavement. It could have possibly had a parttime kit installed in it before you got it, in which case it wont spin the front tires unless it is in one of the loc positions. If your gonna take it offroad, get where you wont be on the pavement. Put'er in park, get out and lock the hubs, and drop it into one of the loc positions, put'er in drive and go.