Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question About The Brake Booster, & Brake Fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Looksback, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

I have a question about the brake booster, what would happen if the vacuum line that goes in to it was removed? I am buying a intake manifold that does not have and vacuum connections, so I would have to have them disconnected until I can gett some holes drilled and tapped for the PCV valve and the brake booster line.
    So I guess the question is would the brakes still work? (But have to press harder) and with the line disconnected will all the brake fluid pour out?

Also for those who are wanted to know why this problem came up, is because I bought a intake manifold "Offenhauser" for my In-Line Six "292ci" that uses two, one barrel carbs, but has no vacuum connections on the manifold for the brake booster, and the PCV valve.

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your brakes would be very hard to engage but would work. You wouldn't want to do this for any long periods though as its not very safe. You might be able to find a manifold vacuum port on the carb or add a baseplate (thick aluminum plate) between the carb and manifold which you could port out manifod vacuum if you didnt want to drill your Intake.

If you have power steering, you could add hydraboost and ditch the vacuum booster all together... I did.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll be stopping with both feet on the pedal! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It's really hard to stop without the vacuum boost. To keep the power brakes from being too sensitive, there isn't as much mechnical advantage built into the pedal linkage as there is on a non-power brake system.

Besides, you don't want to drill and tap the intake while it's installed on the engine. Just do that before you install the intake and hook up the booster. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

would I loose any brake fliud with this line disconnected?

LooksBack

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

No, the brake fluid is contained within the master cylinder. The only time it would get into the booster is if the rear seal failed on the master cylinder.

If you want to see what it will be like without vacuum assist, find a deserted stretch of straight road. Get up to about 40 mph, then swich off the engine. Lightly press the brake pedal about 4 times, to exhaust the vacuum reserve from the brake booster. Now try to do a quick stop. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

It is VERY hard to stop! Disconnect the vacume hose and try stopping it, I had trouble stopping it at 5 mph.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There''s a simple cure for the hard stopping part. On the booster can there is a check valve, remove that from the booster can and the brakes will function as if you never had a booster, just normal manual brakes. THis is a good thing to remember when bleedign the brakes too.

8. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

In the morning I will give that a shot gettin' it up to about ~40 mph and turn off the motor and trying stoping, there is an old airport that is not used any more about 1 mile out of town I will try it in the run-way.
    As for the check valve I think I will try that, but were is the check valve? and how do I turn it off?

Thanks for the help
    LooksBack

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The check valve is the plastic 'fitting' that the hose connects to on the booster can. Some GM cars have them inline, so if your booster hose has a plastic can in the middle of the hose that may it. Either way, pulling the fitting out of the booster can should allow free air movement. And yes they are really in there. Suggest twisting and pulling.