Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about the ORD Blazer

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Esteban86K5, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I am wondering if the frame has been boxed or just reinforced with the cage design?

Something I have been thinking about with my new build. Whether I should box it or simply build a cage over the top to make it more rigid.

STEPHEN? Any input on this?

THANKS!!!

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Run a cage. A good cage needs to tie into the frame. If your doing serious offroading you need a cage to protect you. instead of doing both (there have been many disscussions on frame boxing it seems the majority of people say no.) a good cage should be more than enough to keep everthing rigid while proteting you.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We boxed the front 2/3rds of the frame since we needed the stiffness in the front and weren't building a lot of tube structure past the firewall at the time. Now, I don't think it would be worth it but it saved the truck once. You have to create the stiffness one way or another and it's hard to get a strong tube structure forward of the firewall so it's probably not a bad idea for most people.

4. Esteban86K5

Did you stop it at a crossmember or just fishmouthed it in the middle? Thanks for your reply!! :bow:

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Kind of both, the plating just deadends (with a swoopy looking scallop of course) just behind the transfer case crossmember system. The rear part of the frame is pretty heavily braced with the cage so there's not much stress on the frame anymore.

6. Esteban86K5

NIce. Thanks!!!!