Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about the Shackle Flip. . .

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Mar 10, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I am thinking of doing the rear shackle flip that I have seen alot of you guys do. I just have a few questions. .

Is it a better ride than new springs?

What all is needed? I saw the kit from DIY4X, then i have to buy shackles too right? Or does that kit come with everything?

Is it hard to install? I don't know alot about suspension and how it works. . Is there a detailed write up anywhere? What tools are needed? Any welding or anything?

Anything else I should know before attempting this?

2. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Search button works great for newer guys, also since your a member you get acess to everything.

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Ive searched, and havent found answers to those questions.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

This coming from a newbie as well :rolleyes:

5. iwaxmyjimmy

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Instead of linking me to stuff, why not just help me out and answer my questions?

I have already read through that...

7. iwaxmyjimmy

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Do I need to buy shackles then or does the kit come with the ones needed for the 4" lift?

9. iwaxmyjimmy

Go to the site. And thats stated in the first link I posted. So read.

10. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Yeah man, that search feature is great. And don't worry, lots of us newer people get hit with the "use the search button NOOB" a lot. I didn't even know where it was until someone gave me a screen shot of it circled :doah: Try the search with different wording and stuff and you'd be surprised at how much stuff you'll find! I've literally sat on here for hours doing searches to learn about different things. There is so much more on this site then there is on the surface, and the search button opens up all of it. I am not quite sure when the "noobness" wears off, maybe at 1,000 posts or so. Don't take it the wrong way when people try to direct you towards an answer. A lot of people on here have the "If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, if you teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime" mentality which can be frustrating at first, but it does help. Hope this helps. And yes, if you go the site it will show a complete layout of the parts included in kit. The quickest way I usually get to the sites is to go to the vendor section.

11. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

It says new shackles are reccomended, accordign to some users. . hmm.

12. littlejimmythatcould

It depends on what is in your budget and your lift and the amount of articulation that you want, I guess.

13. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I didnt want to put more than 200-250 into the back, so a shackle kit is 170, and the shackles are like 90 so thats right around my budget. I might just keep the blocks in the back for now and wait a month or two before switching to kit.

14. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

you will want to get shackles, the stock ones can deform when used in a shackle flip. the shackles for DIY's kit are just 1/4" plate with two holes and rounded corners. the nice thin gthat her does is to weld the nuts to the backer plates, I makes it so you dont have to have two people to tighten them properly.

don't worry about all the "noob" BS. its fine to ask questions, thats how most people learn (apart from messing stuff up and having to fix it) your post count doesnt mean anything. This board is a much nicer place to ask questions than other sites (pirate4x4) so ask away. just try to do as much research as you can before hand. that way, you'll get the most out of the answer you get and we will know exactly what you want explained.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  15. littlejimmythatcould

You could always get the shackle flip and use your stock shackles for the time being. But I just checked on the website and they are $80 a piece. If you order them both at the same time you might save on shipping vs. buying them at two separate times.

Edit: My bad, the diy flip in switch doesn't use stock shackles (bad NOOB! BAD)

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

shackle flip is great for daily drivers also.

new ubolts as you wont need blocks anymore. 40-60 bucks on avarage for a set of 4.

if you plan on anything soon and you have rusty parts and bolts. go to the store and get some realy good penetrant oil. like p.b. blaster or other stuff. not wd-40 or liquid wrench. thay just lube mostly.

pm kert on any questions he is good and fast replays. the way i just read his add on his site is the flip kit is 170 only. if you buy the kit with shackles he only adds it up to 195 total. so about the same price for ether kerts flip & switch or ord and stock weak shackles.

and no one has yet to mention you might need to get some pinion shims to correct the pinion angle at the rear end. some need them some dont.

if this is going in a pick up truck then its basicly a easy swap . if in a burban or blazer then the gas tank needs to be droped .

so with this info take your noob butt and figure out what you want and have a fun time with your rig. :p:

17. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Also, you don't have to pay $90 for new shackles. Kert has some nice ones for much less, just check out the suspension page on DIY4x.com. And if you want to learn about your rig, I'd suggest finding a factory repair manual. You can get them on ebay or IIRC helminc.com . That was the best investment I've made for my vehicles.