Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about tilt auto and non-tilt manual column parts interchangability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 18, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What I have is a tilt automatic column. What I also have is a 465 going in and a non-tilt manual column. I would like to know if I can take the portion of the manual column and put it in place of the auto shift portion of the tilt column. Basically, I'm wanting to delete the shifter portion of the auto column using the same portion from the non-tilt manual column. Can ya'll follow me on this?

Thanks!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am pretty sure the answer is no. IIRC the parts between tilt and non tilt are different.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Even the iggy switch is different between the tilt and non tilt. Technically you can make the wrong one work but it's a big headache to do for such a cheap part...don't ask me how I know/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ignition switch is different but the wiring is the same only upside down. Can't remember which was which but one switch the ignition rod pulls and the other the rod pushes.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, the plastic switch is the same, but the cage it's in holds the non tilt version one way and the tilt version the symmetrical opposite way.

Let's just say I now know what the inside of the plastic switch looks like, and that for what they cost new it isn't worth messing with/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rene