Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about tilt steering column

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pomai, Dec 13, 2005.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Would a steering column with tilt steering and delay or intermittent wipers from a 1990 Suburban fit into my 88 Blazer. And is the intermittent device in the column or would I need to change my wiper motor also? Also would the harness from my Blazer fit this column.

Thanks, Ed

2. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I put a tilt column from a 91 suburban in my 88 V30 without any problems. I did not have tilt or intermittent wipers before that. The intermittent wiper module should be on the bottom of the column and is wired to plug into your existing wiring harness. I did not need to change anything else in the truck.

Russ

3. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thank you very much for that information. You've been a big help.
    Ed

By the way, what is a V30?

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Round car columns will also fit with very minor tweaks. Basically, you have to flip the wiring plug from one side to the other. And the later square columns will fit if you cut the shrouding at the cluster, but not as "clean". I ran an early 70s Impalla tilt in one of my trucks, and a 70's Pontiac with floor shifter tilt in another that was manual. Lots of stuff like that, including Caddy parts, will interchange fairly easily with only minor effort.

5. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

V30 is the designation for a one ton crewcab pickup from 88-89 I believe. Before that they were K30's and after that they are V3500's up through 91. I could be off a year or two on those, but I know my 88 crewcab dually is a V30 designation.

Russ