Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about tow rig....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by mudrunner78, Feb 4, 2003.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

...ok I am not to good with the search couldn't find my question, but here it is, I have been seriously considering getting a older 3/4 ton 2wd, I am wondering do you think this type of truck will be up to pulling a 9k lb trailer. I would like a diesel but cant find one in the price range I am looking for, I figures a stock to mild 454, and II should be ok. I would ultimaly like to swap in a newer 5 speed, but is there a OD out there to bolt up behind a th-400 that does not cost an arm and a leg. How well do the 6.2 diesel pull, could a bank kit wake up a 6.2 enough to pull a 9k trailer. thanks in advance Jesse

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I pull an 8500 lb fifth-wheel RV with my '81 3/4 ton, 2WD, 6.2L n/a diesel, and 4.10 gears with 27" tires. It's about all my truck can do to keep this rig at highway speeds. However, it does fine for me, and I've towed this thing all over the place, even from MO to Myrtle Beach, SC, down to Destin, FL, and back home.

The 454 will definitely have lots more power. However, it will suck the gas doing so. My truck gets about 10 to 13 mpg pulling, depending on how many hills I hit. I would imagine the 454 would get about 6 or so.

I've been told a Banks turbo'ed 6.2L will pull like a 454, but I can't really say for sure. After I install my turbo on my 6.2L this summer, I'll let you know.

I know of no bolt-on overdrive, other than the Gear Vendors or US Gear units. Both are really expensive unless you can find one used. A 5 speed manual, or 4L80E conversion would probably be better.

Casey

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A 454 in a K5 blazer is getting 6-7 MPG so I would assume towing 9k with a 3/4 ton would be more like 4-5 if not less.
    If you want to tow a lot = lots of gas, then getting a 6.2 or 6.5diesel would be better for you.
    If you are looking for a truck that would be occasionnaly pulling the trailer, then anything can work, even a 350 with the proper gearing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I personnaly would stick to the diesel.

4. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

well the diesel sounds great, I just need it to pull the trailer at a safe 65 70 mph, and be relieable. thats about it banks kit for the 6.2 makes a big difference I see. Jesse

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My dad had an '83 6.2L with Banks turbo years ago that he used to pull a 35' fifth-wheel with. He pulled it all over the country...did a good job, but it didn't have much power to spare.

I'm really looking forward to seeing first-hand just how much difference a turbo really makes.

Casey