Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about transmission problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85blazerk5, Mar 6, 2005.

1. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

It feels like my reverse is going out on me, some times I have to floor it to get it to move at all in reverse, but drive works fine. I have a automatic 350, it worked just fine until just recently, I changed the fluid and filter, and all of a sudden, it acts like this...any advice as to what is going on? Thanks in advance.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im not sure if the 350 works like the 400, but I know my reverse started going out, the first time I had tranny problems, then 3rd gear started slipping. In a 400, reverse uses the 3rd gear clutch, and uses a reverse band, both those were shot. My reverse acted like what your describing for 2 or 3 days, then I had no reverse. Time for a rebuild. Also, mine did it just after a fluid change, I think the fluid was what was holding it together lol. This last time I had tranny probs, they were catastrophic, the only reusable parts are the case and the output shaft.

3. 85blazerk5

85blazerk5 Registered Member

Thanks alot, I figured it was time for a rebuild...any clue as to how much one would cost? I won't even attempt to do it myself. Thanks

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

just to let you know for future refrence if you have a tranny that has not had the fluid changed in a long time you should not change it. Changing the fluid can cause it to go bad some times when the tranny has not had the fluid changed often. I know this from experience i did it to my 4l60e

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

If you pull and take it somewhere around here, it runs between 350 and 400 for a rebuild. Taking the whole vehicle, Im not sure, I always take just the tranny.