Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about vechicle sale/trade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Dec 17, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

so i have a 1990 jeep wrangler that im tinking of trading for a 87 k5. only problem is that i still owe money on it (quite a bit too) so i dont have the title. how the hell would i go about doing this:confused:

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You'd need to contact the lien holder of the jeep

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

im planning on it, but have to wait till monday. anyone have any info on what a standard would be?

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

AFAIK you can't change ownership of the vehicle until it has been paid off and the lien holder signs off on the title. There is the possibility that the lien holder may allow you to have the title on the K5 liened to them instead of the jeep but highly doubtful unless you can prove some kind of considerable value on the K5 that would warrant them to allow you to lien the K5.

5. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have changed leins on vechicles before but the new one was of similar value to the loan amount.

6. static-x

static-x Newbie

Get a personal loan or a credit card to pay off the jeep so you can get the title. Then you can sell it and buy that Blazer. As long as the jeep is worth what you owe on it you're ok.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

well the new one would be close to value, its a cash+vechicle trade on the other persons part so the cash could be immediately paid to the lein holder along with some savings i have and would more than bring the value of the k5 to the amount of the loan.

8. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Around here you would have to essentially pay off one loan and take out a new one. The paper work could all be done ahead of time so the buyer of the Jeep could meet you at the lenders office, pay the cash and turn over the title of the K5 and walk out with the Jeep title. Any way you do it will have to be with the lenders approval.

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Here in MI, if you have a lein you still get the title but it says "Leinholder: ZYX Bank". When you sell that vehicle (which your free to do at anytime),it' either one of 2 things. 1) The bank give's you a temporary personal loan in your name and sings the title as clear (there's a space on the title for the leinholders to sign off saying it's paid), take your sign-off title and exchane it with the buyer of the vehicle for cash, go back to your bank and pay your personal temp. loan off.
    or 2) if the buyer is willing, both go to ZYX Bank and the buyer pays the bank directly and signs the title, which the seller brought with them.

Never heard of transfering a lein from one vehicle to another. Usally it's pay off one, and open another.

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I traded a '77 Crew Cab that I had to a friend for a nice '85 Chevy K20, and he still owed money on it. The bank looked at both vehicle descriptions to determine values, and then allowed the trade and signed off the '85 title to me and then added them as lienholder on the '77 title when my friend took posession of it.

In that case it was pretty simple since the bank agreed they had similar blue book value.