Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question About Welders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 2, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Im purchasing a welder soon, and Ive been seeing some gasless models on the market... Does anyone know how they compare to traditional gas welders? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks

2. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

on the gasless you have to make sure all surfaces are rust free and paint free and oil free completely clean and that is hard to do on automobiles as compared to gas which is not as fussy.
    also gas shield is more possitive flow and penetration. I would go with the traditional gas.

That advice came from my backyard mechanic who does a lot of welding at work. Good luck

3. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

If you are refering to a flux core wire feed type... DO NOT waste your money! They are complete junk, especially if the unit does not have a gas option. If you want wire feed, stick to gas. It costs more but, like evrything else in life you get what you pay for. A buddy of mine bought a $200 flux core wire feed, now he has a $200 paper weight.

Jeff

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used the stick, or arc welder for a long time, I also used Oxy/Acetylene some, but now that I have the MIG which uses gas, I will never go back... except for shaping metal which is only posible with Oxy/acet.
    I bought the HTP welder, and I can say it's well worth the money.
    As they say, you get what you pay for.
    IceMan

5. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I agree with all, I'm a welder, or atleast I do alot of welding at work, and I recently bought a small (100 amp) flux core with gas option (Craftsman) for home use, and I can say they both have their place; flux core is good for heavier metal 1/4 inch and up and is best in windy conditions, but leaves slag that needs to be chipped off, gas welding (mig) is must cleaner, no chipping needed, and is better for thinner metals like body work. Hope this helps. Rich

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought a 110V flux core/MIG welder from Sears.
    I've done flux core with some success.
    But now I need to a little body stuff and I'm glas to have MIG capability. Just last week bought a C25 tank so soon I'll see exactly what the diff is.
    I'd recommend a one that has the gas option also.
    If your budget allows, get a 220V.
    -- Mike

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I bought one of the small Lincon wire feed and it welded like crap! We added the gas (argon?) and its was ok we had probelms with the welds not sticking to paint/rust until we added the gas also. I would not use it for more than spot welds and little stuff. Spend the money and get a good welder. OH, the reason we bought this little 110 welder was we did not have 220 in the garage yet and the other three welders my father had from years of servicing farm equipment needed 220 or more. So it was the power factor also! Good luck. [​IMG]

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the Miller 210 with the spool gun promo is a smokin deal.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    we had probelms with the welds not sticking to paint/rust

[/ QUOTE ] You should always grind that crap away before you start welding. Otherwise you can end up with a weld that looks fine from the outside, but has holes and/or other weak spots inside. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Contaminated welds can look perfect until you get a peek at one with an X-ray machine. Then it's pretty obvious that the weld isn't nearly as strong as it should be. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a 110v but it's an HTP welder, they make great welders, I don't know if it's the gas that makes the difference but I have been welding everything from thin body panels all the way to 1/4 inch thick. I even welded a couple of 5/16th.
    And it's only a 130Amp model 110Volts. They are a little more expensive and you can only mail order them, but they are worth the money. They had a review on them in Fourwheeler magazine.
    IceMan

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Chris,

Since you are local.....maybe you should stop by sometime and check out my Lincoln 175+ ? It's a 220V MIG and it's really nice for all sorts of stuff. I like the gas a LOT...I'm making good welds already, and I'm not a particularly experienced welder.

You can go with the Lincoln 135+ Welder if 110V is more practical. The only thing you lose is some ability to weld the really THICK stuff....

There are places that sell these welders on the Internet, and you can find some amazing deals....plus no sales tax! The local shops charge WAY too much for these setups. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a Hobart 175amp 220v Mig. I use sheilding gas unless
    I am welding outside with the wind blowing. I paid around
    $600.00 with the bottle. Don't buy a cheap one, remember
    you get what you pay for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

A lincoln stick welder does stonger welds than a mig just takes a lil more skill. I used to work at a fab shop we used stick welders for the stuff that needed strenth.and the mig for the lighter stuff I see your in sanjose im in the tracy area if your need any help with anything let me know .

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You're right stick welders are stronger, especially for thick guage, the MIG is just so easy for beginners, like meeeee.
    Actually I was a pretty good welder, and no it's not my job, just part of the skills I acquired restoring cars and trucks, and when I used the MIG, especially with thinner metals, it was awsome, plus the Aluminum welding capability is something I need now more than ever, only a MIG or TIG would do that.
    IceMan

15. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

you can tig with a jig for a stick welder its just has to be a dc stick welder /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i lve my Lincoln AC225, but i also love the Lincoln mig and the $5000 mig welder at my dads work. talk about nice. these things can make the stupidest person look like a pro. they use argon/C02 for sheilding gas. but then again, they hafta have these welders to make dies to make the other things. so ive got a whole fabrication shop at my disposal. i love it.

NITRO

17. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Stick (ARC) welders provide a stronger weld depending on what type of electrode you are using. If you are using some basic 6013 then hell no it isn't stronger than a flux-core or MIG weld. Like I said, it all depends on the electrode.

I bought a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 a few years ago from Home Depot for $330 and this little thing has kicked ass. I've built many battle tested items with it and it has proven itself time and time again. You just have to know its limits and capabilities to get it to work right for your application.

Regardless if you are doing MIG, or just flux-core, the work needs to be freshly grinded and clean or you will have contaminated welds. I've found that when doing MIG, it's more fussy on the cleanliness of the work. Flux-core is a little more forgiving. But what a nice weld MIG gives you and all you need is a little brushing to make it a finished product, where flux-core you either gotta chip it all off or wire wheel it clean.

I'd say if you are just starting out, go with the lincoln weld-pak 100 like I did, you won't be sorry. It has MIG capability too, just have to buy the additional MIG kit for it. That sells at Home Depot too for $99.00. Opinions will vary ofcourse, but I've had first hand success with it and I've been lucky enough to use other MIG's and ARC machines. I'm completely satisfied with my 2 Lincoln welders.

Lincoln WeldPak-100 (Flux-core w/MIG option)
    Lincoln 225AC (ARC)

Hope this helps...