Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about WELDS (rjfguitar)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Apr 27, 2004.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What do you guys use to polish your Welds? Do you do it by hand or use a power tool, like a Dremel?
    Thanks!

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Use to use Dr. Goose's Magic Mix....no machine...just keep on them. Used to do it every weekend, they were like mirrors. Stuff worked nice. Not sure what everyone used now, but that stuff used to be the sheeeiiitt. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

metal masters, mothers polish..

use a wire wheel or something to clean them first...

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    use a wire wheel or something to clean them first

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

I would suggest AGAINST taking any kind of abrasive wheel to them...especially a wire wheel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

shop at a truck stop. Those mother truckers know how to make it shine. Some stops have dudes going around that are covered in black stuff with big polishers. They use some green liquid that seems to do it nice! I polished an entire motorcycle frame with it and it seems to be as aggressive as you make it. You can work it with a tool, or use a hand and rag. They will sell it to you, but you have to have something to put it in (plastic bottle)

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, I am so flattered. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Welds are incredibly smooth because they are forged and use the purest aluminum available. Like someone said...Go to a truck stop to get polish....I use some really good stuff that comes in a pink bottle for light oxidation and green for heavy oxid on our semis and it works wonders. It is by far the best stuff available.

The best way to KEEP your welds or any alum. wheel for that matter clean and sparkly is to keep them washed regularly. Welds resist oxidation better than any other alum out there as long as they stay pretty clean.
    If you have a nice set of alums that are good and shiny and want to keep them that way just make a point to wash the truck or at least the wheels once or twice every 2 weeks or so depending on weather. I relize it is hard to do when you are out wheeling on the weekends but I have always took a few mins and hosed them off after each outing. If you keep Welds clean and out of the road salt then they should stay shiny for as long as you do so. Eagles and shiterlines oxidize easier.

I bought my 16.5x14's brand new and I wash my truck roughly once a week and they are as shiny now as the day I bought them. If or when they get dull I am not going to try to buff them out myself because they are so expensive and scratch easily...I am just going to send them back to weldracing for a thourogh repolish for $80. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They will come back looking like this no matter how old and did I mention they have a repair service? /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Welds seem too high- maintence for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the price tag /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

Right on, thanks guys!

$80 to repolish all 4? Thats a good deal, maybe ill do that!

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm reading this whole post wondering why you would want to polish a weld. I usually just grind em flat and paint over em. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

black eatons dog!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I am just going to send them back to weldracing for a thourogh repolish for $80.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing to my 16.5 x 9.75 SSII's. Yep, $80 got them polished like new again. And also K.C. is only 3.5 hours away, I shipped the rims off in boxes and then went down to K.C. to pick them up and they gave me a tour of the plant for the heck of it. I also got a whole bunch of those Weld stickers, fliers, etc. Awesome plant but so weird to see they are in a "hole in the wall" place since the building is like several stories high and so old. Very cool place and people BTW. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'm thinking about sending a set of 16.5 x 12 SSII's I have in the garage to K.C. to get them polished also. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, I'm reading this whole post wondering why you would want to polish a weld. I usually just grind em flat and paint over em. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Welds seem too high- maintence for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the price tag /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nah, if you are already in the habit of washing your truck once and a while you wouldn't even hardly notice.

Yeah, they're a little expensive but if you read the material used and the process of making them you would understand. They are wayyyy lighter than any steelie and look 100,000 times better IMHO.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am just going to send them back to weldracing for a thourogh repolish for $80.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the same thing to my 16.5 x 9.75 SSII's. Yep, $80 got them polished like new again. And also K.C. is only 3.5 hours away, I shipped the rims off in boxes and then went down to K.C. to pick them up and they gave me a tour of the plant for the heck of it. I also got a whole bunch of those Weld stickers, fliers, etc. Awesome plant but so weird to see they are in a "hole in the wall" place since the building is like several stories high and so old. Very cool place and people BTW. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'm thinking about sending a set of 16.5 x 12 SSII's I have in the garage to K.C. to get them polished also. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    They are a really cool company, they care about their customers unlike most large corps.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you live in the desert land of perpetual summer, the rest of the world it is a fair bit more difficult to keep a truck clean

once you get them polished look at getting them anodized to make it the last polish job

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    you live in the desert land of perpetual summer, the rest of the world it is a fair bit more difficult to keep a truck clean

once you get them polished look at getting them anodized to make it the last polish job

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but K5MONSTERCHEV lives in CA and he is the one that asked the question.
    You can forget about keeping them clean in bad weather states.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]

They are a really cool company, they care about their customers unlike most large corps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats for sure, I gave them a call today and talked to them about getting rid of oxidation, and keeping them clean, there AWESOME! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    They said to use Mothers or Blue Magic to get rid of the oxidation, and then to put car wax on them to protect them. OH and also, only wash them when there cold!

19. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]