Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about window seals.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 5, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so tonite i decided to start my swap from slider windows to the solid ones. i like the clean look of the solid windows. one side of my truck looks really nice, at nite, so you can't see the interior! :) it'll be really great when i get all the interior squared away and it's not a combination of black, white, grey, blue, and red. (my previous windows were tinted, these are not). i love the added visability!

anyway, here's my question: when i was putting the locking seal/ring/doohicky back in, i ended up with nearly a foot too much! this was not new stuff - it was originally in the window seal and i'm concerned that by stretching it, it would have decreased in diameter, making the window not fit as tight as it should. should i be concerned? or should i cut? i was thinking i could lube it up with a bit of oil and maybe the tension in the line would help it pull back some. any thoughts?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would take it back out and start over, but this time i would start at one end then do a few inches then start the other end where they meet then work it from both sides to keep it even. I hope you understand what i mean.

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

This somthing thats on my list of things to do. I'm going from solid (clear) to sliders (clear). Could you explain how you removed and reinstalled the window?

Thanks.

4. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the locking strip? They always give you some extra. Just cut it about a 1/4" long and push it in there. I should add that I've only done windshields I'm not sure if your application is the same.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

He is reusing the old lock strip.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, this always happenes, it stretches as you are reinstalling it.
    Just try to use something like water and dish soap, and work it back in, trying not to stretch it in, if you have excess again, just work it back around till it's gone.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Man I could of saved you all the work , and traded tops while you were here . I have a solid side in the backyard with roof rack holes in it . Just scrape off the racing stickers and add your own :waytogo:

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it's no big deal. i got to learn something new anyway. :)

bear76 - i didn't take the window out the proper way - i'll try to do that on my second attempt. :) i did not remove the locking stip, stuck a flat head in the rear upper corner. then i pushed with a screw driver on the back side of the window seal at the same time (thus the back upper corner, so i could reach inside) so that the inside seal would be moved to the outside. then i took my flat head from the outside and put it behind the small amount of inner seal which was on the outside of the top and worked the screw driver down the length of the window. once you get to the other side, pull outward on the top of the window. this will pull the sides out. then lift. you'll get it - it's not that hard. it would have been easier if i would have removed the locking strip first.

the way i installed the window was to put the seal in place first, then put the window in place. make sure the locking strip is out. i started by pushing the window to the front, getting the seal to seat over the part of the window toward the front. i had my wife hold the window up, and i got inside and forced the seal to go out and around the window. putting it in is a bitch. not too bad tho. :)

i bet that's all real confusing. you'll get it tho.