Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about working out and eating?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigburban383, Jun 17, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Are you supposed to eat before or after you work out?

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I am not sure on the "test book answer". I think it is more about personal prefference.

I like to work out in mornings and I try not eat anything for at least an hour after I finish. Since working out raises your metabolism I want it to burn as much fat and such as I can. Eating, only gives your body something else to burn, rather than what you normally carry around. The same can be said on working out at night. When I am motivated, working out at night can be benificial in that you raise your metabolism and then you go to bed and it keeps on burn body fat and such through the night and higher rate. The hard part is ignoring the after work out hunger.

My work out is weights with some treadmill activity 3 times a week. Since Feb, I have dropped 20 lbs, so it work OK for me. On another note, if you do eat, try to make it high protein. As I remember it, your body burns carbs, then fats, then muscle (protein). So eating high protein will let your body burn a bunch of fat. Beef Jerky seems to be a good snack for me.

Sorry for rambling. I think you just need to find what works best for you.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Generally speaking (cause I'm no expert)

mornings - dont eat before, but eat within 30minutes afterward (you have about an hour after a workout to FEED your muscles). Why eat then workout, your just burning the food you just ate (having no effect on the fat you want to loose or the muscle you want to gain), if you workout first thing in the morning you start hitting the stored fat first.

afternoon-evening - eat some carbs before a workout, like a protien/energy bar (they usually have alot of carbs/sugars that help you workout longer, harder) Afterward load up on protiens eat a steak and brown rice or chicken and green beans. Avoid carbs in the evening. Shift your carbs from white rice and white enriched bread to whole grain wheat breads and brown rice (you need carbs dispite what others say, you just need to make sure the carbs are GOOD carbs). [​IMG]

When I'm working out I usually suppliment with a whey protien shake after workouts. Egg whites and oatmeal for breakfast, chicken during the day and steak at night, lost of green veggies and a multi-vitamin.
    I need to get back on that, I lost alot of weight doing that, then I hurt my back and then my knee started acting up so I haven't done much for the last couple months! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I can tell also /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    The hard part is ignoring the after work out hunger.

[/ QUOTE ]

scoop of chocolate whey protien
    couple table spoons of sugar free/fat free jello
    1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese
    1 cup water
    big spoon full of peanut butter
    hand full of ice
    blend and enjoy! Has plunty of proteins for muscle regeneration, tastes DAMN good, fairly simple to make and its a good night time snack... mmmmmmm mmmmmm

after the morning workout, I usually take 12oz of 1% milk and 2 scoops of whey protien (around 40grams of protien, 12 carbs and 4 grams of fat) and mix/shake in shaker bottle right after a workout, then after I'm cleaned up and showered I fix me some eggs and oatmeal. Put on a couple chicken breasts to boil eat one every couple hours till dinner then I have a steak and green veggies. For lunch sometimes I substitute in chicken or tuna salad, ham or turkey slices on wheat breat with mini carrots instead of chips. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    OH, dont be afraid of mayo! You need fats to burn fat! Eat up! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before your suposed to drink water, then after 30 minutes your suposed to eat.

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Actually you need to be drinking water before, during and after your workout.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually you need to be drinking water before, during and after your workout.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, before a hockey game I always get hydrated or else I will be dying and of course I am gulping water during the game.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's what I meant /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Since I work out after work... There's usually between 3 and 5 hours from the time I eat dinner to the time I hit the gym...

Not a whole lot I can eat at work without putting a hole in my pocket... Our $2 employee menu is as follows:
    -Hamburger w/ fries
    -Cheeseburger w/ fries
    -Veggie Sandwich (sounds gross, but is pretty good) w/ fruit
    -Cheese Quesadilla (one lady always puts steak in it for me )
    -1/2 Chicken Salad Sandwich w/ soup... This one is crap, every time I get it I ask for a whole sandwich, and I pay for the extra half a sandwich, yet the frickin person who orders still puts in the order as 1/2 sandwich which just pisses me off because I have to ask the cooks who are usually busy to make me another 1/2 a sandwich, and then they get pissed off and yell at the person who took my order after they're through with me /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    -Hot Turkey sandwich w/ gravy
    -Hot Road Beef sandwich w/ gravy
    -French dip w/ fries The weird thing with this is the meal is actually called the "All American" on the menu /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I usually end up with hot turkey, veggie sandwich, or a cheeseburger... About once or twice a week I'll order off the regular menu. Something like chicken fried steak, or broiled chicken breast, or if I get a nice big tip like the other night I get Prime Rib or a 10 ounce Pepper Steak /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

So anyway... I've been trying to eat around 8 PM, but sometimes my manager assigns break times depending on how busy we are and how many people are working the front desk, so tonight I had to go at 6. I get to the gym at around 11:30...

Then at 11:30, I hit the bike for about 25 minutes at 125 RPM's. I want to start running, but I need headphones that won't fall out of my ears when I'm running... Then I hit the weight machines. I must say, after only two weeks of going every day except last Sunday, I'm getting rather bulky... My arms are still toothpicks, but they're noticably bigger which is frickin awesome /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Then I get home around 1:30, let my arms get to feeling like arms instead of jello, and make a sandwich or Ramen noodles or something... Last night, though, it was gas station nachos /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Then I hit the sack between 2 and 2:30... wake up at 10 and do whatever... until work... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Then I get home around 1:30, let my arms get to feeling like arms instead of jello, and make a sandwich or Ramen noodles or something...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Why do the big workout thing then put nasty empty carbs in your body? Depending on the sandwich it might be ok but no noddles.... PROTIEN MAN! Feed you muscles after a workout. Drink a whey portien shake or eat a small piece of chicken or a can of tuna, or even a piece of leftover steak. (your really not suppost to eat for about 2-3hrs before you go to bed, then you just have food sitting in your stomach all night).
    I bet you would see much better gains if you cut out carbs after like 7-8pm and suppliment with a protien shake /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Where's Bryan at? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I need some backup in here /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

It really depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to gain muscle you should be eating about an hour before and then feeding after workout with plenty of protein.
    If you are trying to lose weight the last thing you want to do is starve yourself. You need to eat often (every 2.5 - 3 hours)to keep your metabolism up. So if you are doing just cardio, I would eat an hour or so before and then not again until at least an hour afterwards. Your body is burning fat at a higher rate after. If you are weight training you want to eat a good protien meal to feed your muscles before they start feeding on theselves. The easiest thing for your body to use for fuel is muscle. If you don't feed it, it goes into starvation moe...it stores fat and eats the muscle.
    Hope this sounds reasonable . I just worked 15hrs and i'm tired

13. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I didn't get my break at work until 45 minutes before I was supposed to leave... Last night, I went to the gym 45 minutes after I got off work... As the result of a mix-up, I was given 4 burritos and a churro instead of 3 tacos, 1 burrito and a churro. I was starving, so I ate 4 burritos and a churro... Last time I'll eat that much that close to working out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

damn good though... meat and potato burritos from Taco Johns... with nacho cheese inside /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif