Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question abuot offset bushing to fit a Dodge D60 front to a Chev....

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Silver84k5, May 6, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if you have made something like this, i have a dodge d60 and i dont want to spread my springs apart to make it fit, Any suggestions on what i should do?

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Attach the passenger side leafspring to the mount on the chunk, then move the driver's side spring pad to the correct location for your spring. All you have to do is grind it off carefully, then get it level with the pad on the chunk and weld it securely back to the axle tube.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

thats waht i was thinking but wouldnt that make the axle be farther out on one side?

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

yes it would, don't do it that way, the axle needs to be centered. the easiest wau if ORD doesn't have the correct bushigs it to machine your other ones down, which means have the bushing tooled up in a a lathe and mill it down the 1/2 " and them stack washers behind the other bushing to brin git out. best of luck to you Josh.

-Jeremy

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I dont think so....ask SW. I think that it will line up just fine.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We don't have anything specifically for this but we do have a bushing with a 1/4" shoulder and a bushing with a 1/2" shoulder that would fit in most aftermarket front springs. This would let you move the spring closer to the inside or outside, problem is the shackle bushings aren't set up that way so easy but I think we could find something that would work, maybe a combo of stock and aftermarket bushings back there.
    How far off are the perches?

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The axle WILL line up fine, but the driveshaft will be at an angle to one side (may not make a big difference depending on how far), but if you look at any driveline tech article they say that if one end of the d-shaft is higher than the other, that the shaft must be straight left to right or vibrations, reduced u-joint life, and possible failure can occur. Again it is more of a question of how far off to one side it will be. Even a stock trucks axles moves left to right from time to time. Not saying don't do it, just beware of what may happen.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it sounds like you want to have his driver side tire sticking out an inch further then his passenger tire

9. Leadfoot

Not sure which way it will be, but even the Chevy axle stock is not "centered". Also for the record I do not advise doing this.

Reason: Stated above.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how far off centre is it?

11. Leadfoot

Not sure, I will measure my two trucks this weekend. I never noticed it with stock (read skinny) tires, but when I put the wider tires on both, I noticed they stuck out furthur on one side (in the front), than the other. I asked around and several others noticed this as well. Not sure on the D60's but I know it was that way on my old 10 bolt (on the 80) and on my current 78's 10 bolt. I would assume the same for the D44 (but haven't confirmed it). I will measure and let you know this weekend (probably won't be able to post results until Monday).

12. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

If you want a pic send me a email. I did not move the spring perch. Haven't had a problem yet!!!

Eat More Mud!!!

60/14/4:88/Locked/9"/39.5TSL/350/700R/208/

13. Leadfoot

Measured 3 trucks, my 78 K10, a 87 K10, and an 84 K20 all with a 10 bolt front. Hoping to measure a K30 tomorrow with a D60. Each truck had the axle situated about 1"+ furthur towards the passenger side. Can anybody else confirm or deny this? I believe this was done to keep the axle pinion inline with the driveshaft yoke/flange to keep vibration from forming and increase u-joint life (especially since many early 10 bolts were on fulltime NP203 equipped trucks.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what are you measuring?
    the factory could have the axles built any measurments they required.

15. Leadfoot

I was taking a level and holding it to the fender (straight up and down) and measuring to the outside of the front tires. All had the passenger's side out furthur about an inch than the driver's side. All were ten bolts, and I'm hoping to measure the D60 sometime this week. I don't know of anyone around that has a D44 so I can't comment on that one. If it were just one, I would say it could be frame tweaked, body mounts off, shackles tweaked, etc. but I have seen it on several. Again it doesn't look as bad with stock width tires and rim offsets, but when you put wider shoes on it's more pronounced. Can anyone with a 10 bolt please verify/deny this on their rig?

16. Stephen

The way to measure this is to go from the spring pad to the wheel face, or maybe just to the face of the rotor. i suspect the axles are centered and the bodies on the trucks are all crooked. I've measured this on my k5 several times and blown it off to just being tweaked around too much.

17. Leadfoot

So you've seen the axle set to one side, but then measured from the perch to the rotor to find both sides equal? Or are you saying to measure it to see if it is equal? I will measure it either way and post my findings.

18. Stephen

I have seen axles off to one side, but I really doubt GM built anything with the spring perches located to where the axle was off center in the truck. I can see that being a headache in many many ways. Measure some axles up, I think you'll find they're right on.
    Actually just measured some up, all centered.

19. Leadfoot

Thanks. Do you know why several would move to the passenger's side? I could see flex in the bushings, springs, shackles, etc. allowing the axle to move side to side (nature of suspension and bushings), but it always seems to push to the passenger's side (at least on 6 rigs I have measured so far)? I could see if some were closer to the passenger's side and some closer to the driver's side as they flex, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Could it be that the steering box leverage is always exerted fromt he Driver's side, and over the years it causes the suspension components to shift toward the passengers side (grasping at straws here), but very curious at the same time? All measurements have been from older vehicles.

20. Stephen

the steering could be working it to one side, it's hard to say, there's lots of stuff that can affect it.