Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question, and an opinion on a tranny

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldamish, Jun 6, 2005.

1. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I just bought a 75 that was originally an auto, the guy i bought it from put a 4spd in it (lord knows why), i want to go back to the auto, he gave me the original 350 and said it worked when he pulled it out, however there is a hole about the size of a silver dollar in the case on the top just about above the torque converter, hate to go to the trouble of putting it in to find out it's trash.....so, i'm gonna look around...i think. My question is if i don't decide to put it in and risk having it be junk, will any 350 tranny work? i know i need the short tail, but can i pull the tail off of the auto i have and switch them out?? Yeah, it's a long post with really only one apparent question.....but basically, do ya think i should install the tranny i have with the hole in the case, or just find another, in that case do i need to specifically look for a short tail? thanx in advance!

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

My opinion is that I would be pretty leary of installing the tranny with a hole in it. I started a post a while back about the transfer case braces, and based on the replies there are a number of people that have had problems with cracking tranny bell housings. I wouldn't want to add something that would possibly make it easier, ie a hole.

Don't know about the short tail thing. I always figured any 4x4 TH350 tranny was the same.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

2 out put shafts 203/205 version and 208 and up version. any th350 non lockup case will work but if me i would get a k case for the better bottom cover setup. i have one that needs reman if you need it. and any tranny shop can swap the tail shaft when remaning it. hope this helps if not just ask.