Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question aout towing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyman562, Nov 15, 2004.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

Can a short bed 1/2 ton shortbed pickup fitted with 3/4 ton axles and a 454 tow as much as a stock 3/4 lonbed pickup with the same options? I would much rather have a short bed, but am looking at having to tow a 19 ft trailer every so ofton.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

the added wheelbase of a longbed always helps to control the trailer while driving. What may also matter is the weight of the trailer, the heavier it is the more you will want a bigger truck. Also, what kind of brakes on the trailer? (single axle or double) There are a lot dicussions of this type in the tow/trailer forum... i would suggest you look around there

also a couple other items that would need upgrading:
    Rear Springs and Brake Booster

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

You will have more control over a longbed truck due to the fact that the weight will be distributed better on the truck and there will be more weight over the front wheels than a shortbox.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I pulled my brothers short bed K10 160 mi. last week with my K10. I didnt have any problems. The BB didnt miss a beat and got about 9 mpg. I have a 454, sm465, 3.73s and 4 wheel disc brakes. I would suggest having trailer brakes though. If you have to stop fast it could get scary. I do plan to put some heavier springs in the rear to help carry the load better. If you run an automatic be sure to put a big cooler on it, heat can kill a tranny real quick. A long bed would be better and safer, but a short bed would probably get the job done as long as you are careful.

[​IMG]

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can a short bed 1/2 ton shortbed pickup fitted with 3/4 ton axles and a 454 tow as much as a stock 3/4 lonbed pickup with the same options? I would much rather have a short bed, but am looking at having to tow a 19 ft trailer every so ofton.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 no

#2 a 19' trailer is nothing, I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 no

#2 a 19' trailer is nothing, I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, you will never be able to match a long bed's towing capabilities because you can't make up wheel base with a bigger engine or rear end.

A 19' trailer isn't bad as long as it isn't too heavy.