Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question bout 10 bolt front axle...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, May 15, 2002.

im taking apart a older 10 bolt front axle so clean it out and rebuilt ist and all, on the steering knuckle/ spindle, wahtever its called, under the top bolt there is another enclosed bolt that needs a special fitting to remose, my shop teacher said he enver seen them on those before... is it neccesary to remove that to take off the spindle/steering knickle? it looks liek tis there to hold the ball joint in place.

1. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You are talking about the spanner nut that is located in the upper part of the differential piece. That is used to preload the ball joints and DOES NOT need to be removed to remove the steering knuckle and spindle. You however should readjust the preload after you have installed new ball joints. There is some conflicting info as to how tight it should be. I adjusted mine to 60 ft. lbs. and have not had any problems.

2. so how do i get it off, i got the two main bolts off and it isnt budging, theres alot of rust also. are there more bolts to take off or should i start hammering it out? and wher can i get the gitting for that spanner nut?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are trying to remove the knuckles you must first have the spindles and axles out. After those items are removed and the ball joint nuts are removed you need to use a pickle fork to split the ball joints loose from the differential. You may also use a hammer and hit the section of differential where the ball joint is seated in and it should break loose. The spanner socket can be ordered at almost any auto parts store or tool truck like Snap-On, Mac, Matco.