Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question bout gear ratios

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Sep 3, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did GM have gear ratios of 2.73 in some of there axles? thats what i came up with form my blazer...the numbers were 41 and 15...and my other blazer said 41 11 so i guess thats 3.73.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 2.73 was available. It wasn't as common as some of the other ratios such as 3.08, but they are definately out there. </font>

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok cool..well..guess i wont be running any big tires on this baby! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah believe me 2.73 was available... i have it with 32s. can you say blazer snail? Good thing my 465 has creeper I couldn't start out in true first till I put headers and a new intake on(gained torque). People say 37s and 4.10s won't be very fast but compared to 32s and 2.73s I will have 704 more rpms at 65mph by my chart.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well its ok though this is kind of a side progect that im very slowly wokring on..trying ot get it good enough to put on the road and just drive it. it SHOULD be in the junkyard but i think i can bring it back a little..my regualr truck with 33's and 3.08 itsnt sluggish at all, and i thought it would be.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

No trucks like ours SHOULD be in the junkyard. They should all be on the road.

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i agree but there is a point to witch you have to draw a line..and my k5 is gettin close! the outer body is ok but the floors are gone but wiht a new tailpan..and rockers and some simple patching i think it will be fine. wont be like it should and would still need a lot of work but its usuable. and i much rather drive the thing and use it then have to send it to a yard.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh pulease that blazer is sweet lookin!! thats not even close to junk yard material. mine is OK..has some rust holes on the bottom of the fender weels..inners need to be replaced..the floor and supports are whats gone..but i just wanna patch the floor up good..put in a new tailpan or rear support..and drive that thing!!

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

lol dude..thats not bad if u ask me. in less your floors were really bad i still think its a good lookin blazer in that pic!

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

at teh tailgate was rotted out, floor supports back ther(but not the main floor itself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) and right at the angle where the seat is, is still rusty(that will be fixed real soon). All in all its not bad. Still drops rust every time you slip with a wrench under it.

13. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

haha i cant wait to see what everyone thinks of the betare im about to buy. 300 for a 79 with a 350/th350/np203. its got a huge hole right under the gas panel and bent hood and rusted fenders, but the guy has the new fenders ready to put on., but after a few yrs and my learning how to weld and such, it will be great!

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats what i need to do..learn how to weld!!!

15. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

My blazer has 2.73s in it and I have a set of 35s coming /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I know gear it before you get big meats. But I have dinky 235s on it now (about 28" high) and with 5" lift it looks terrible and these 35s fell into my lap at a price I could not refuse. If you think yours looks ready for the JY check out the pics of mine which I saved from a junkyard. so far it has gotten a new rear floor and wheelwells from the front lip to the tailpan, drivers side floorpan, 2 fenders, hood, motor (I had this already from a chevelle I scrapped), tires, springs, body bushings, and almost every body mount coming off the frame needed a patch welded in.

pics

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I forget where tyrone is I think I need to check out 35s and 2.73s haha. I learned most of my welding skills with exhausts and floor board replacement.

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

20mi south of Penn state main campus.

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

at least uyr blazer had a tailpan. the tailpan in my truck is totally gone i mean its literally not there! and the driver side floor..well most of it is not there either..imj not going all out wiht a new floor like u did though im just patching it and banda iding it enough to drive it, to get it on the road and driveing again would be someting amazing in itself if u ask me.

19. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a Pontiac Firebird that came with 2.43 or something near that. The pinion is ridiculously big.

Hey Sleddog, happy CK5 birthday to you.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha didn't even notice, thanks. My friend has an Old Pontiac Grand Prix that has like 2.43 or I gthink lower, 2.08 rings a distinct bell!