Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question bout the driveline

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stiches, Dec 8, 2005.

1. stiches

stiches Registered Member

It has had this problem for as long as i can remember...after it gets to normal temp and i go from neutral to either drive or reverse...and from park to reverese it revs up and "jumps" like it slams...checked the mounts they seam fine...i know i gottta replace the u joints...but other then that its fine...should i be worried?

2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Check your idle. I know with mine if the idle is set to high it bangs into gear,l

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

checked the fluid n filter? What type of tranny? If TH350 check vacuum modulator.

4. stiches

stiches Registered Member

i honestly don't know what kind of tranny..all i know is that its a 78....with a early 90's goodyear 350 engine...how can i check?...I am pretty sure the idle is too high but i am not that sure of my self to do anything to it. it runs great in gear...and far to my knowledge it doesent have much vacume to it...

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Pretty much most gm 4 wheel drive trucks seem to have a little bit of play between the drivetrain. I have never owned or seen a chevy that didnt do that. Now if its really bad and bangs like your saying then a good chance the idle is a bit high, combine that with drivetrain slack and boom, bangs when going into gear. Its a good way to kill your ujoints, and your rear axle depending which one your sporting. Im sure 14 bolts can take years of that kind of abuse and never be bothered by it. Lower idle and check your ujoints, and remeber these things arent your 3 year old chevy pickup.

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

OK, its probly a TH350 unless something else got swapped in there. It has 3 forward "gears" correct? Make sure your idle is under 800 in gear. There should be a vacuum line from the intake manifold or carberator going back to the tranny. I would check these and the fluid. IF it has enough and its still red. When working properly it may not be as smooth as a new car/truck, but shouldnt be violently going into gear.