Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question: Fixing a Hole in Drywall

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I have a lovely hole in my wall now, that we won't discuss the origins of :doah:

So this weekend I'm giong to try my hand at fixing this hole... I've figure out the materials I need, and found some simple instructions....

But I'm a bit confused about where the screen goes. Do I put it behind the hole and put the drywall compound on it until it's flush with the wall, or do I put the screen in front of the hole (the side of the wall you can see) and just put a few layers on there to cover the screen and hold it in place? :confused:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what i do for small ones is take a piece of wood 16" or so long slide it in and up the hole then center it and screw it in above and below (through the drywall in to the wood) the cut a pice of dry wall to the the hole (square it up first) and patch it.

or for large one open the hole so it is a rectangle and expanted to the two studs it is between, the cut a peice to fix and screw it to the studs.

the bevaling the hole to 45* and matching the patch seems like a good idea and all but you dont need to be that complacated.:wink1:

5. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

cut the hole out square and get some board same thickness. screw some pieces up to the inside of the wall then set the piece to fit in the square hole with a few screws. mud let dry sand repeat the mud let dry sand till it looks good then paint.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the tips... I went to Home Depot and got a half sheet of drywall, some of that special tape, some drywall screws, some wood, and the "mud."

I was going to start it tonight, but got called to go to a going away party for someone... Then I was reminded with another phone call that I have to be somewhere at 8 (6 hours from now)... So I'm going to sleep instead of starting this tonight... Probably tomorrow I can get it started at least...

All those websites make it seem easy, so we'll find out... The piece of drywall I got was the smallest they had available, and there's enough there to make quite a few patches if I screw up :haha:

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

This reminds me of a friend of mine. She use to have a hot headed boyfiend who would lose his temper on a regular basis and punch holes in the walls of her new home. She was too embarrassed to call anyone to come out and fix them as it was pretty obvious what caused them. I would send one of my guys over on the weekends to patch the holes. Over the course of their relationship, he became an expert at matching textures.

At least someone got something out of that whole deal. She eventually broke up with him and married a guy who hasn't hit the wall once ... either that, or he knows how to do drywall!

Good luck with your patching :doah:

Eric M.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hrm... I cut out the hole, cut a patch for it, put the back boards in, and then found out the piece of drywall I got is 1/4 inch too thick... I tried sanding it down, but I can't get the paper off... Other than that, so far it's looking very good... There's a little gap between the patch and the wall on the right side, but it's probably 1/4 inch... Not too horrible I'm hoping since I'll just tape over it anyway...

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If it's too thick then put some spacer boards between the existing drywall and the back boards you put in so it'll move it backwards. Also, don't worry about the gap, there should be about 1/8 inch between existing dryway and the patch you put in so the mud can get in there.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, what Spearchucker said.

I've filled in larger gaps than 1/4 with drywall mud, and they still look good after a couple years. I wouldn't sweat it. Too much larger than that, though, and I'd use plaster if it's not possible to get the sheetrock patch right.