Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for 250 I-6 owners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4dreamer, Mar 5, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I have a friend with on OLD C series truck that he's restored to pristine condition, but he's looking for a new engine to replace his I-6, preferably a big block. He's limited by funds so buying a new one is not in the books. He's thought about buying another truck just for the motor, but can't really justify that either, even though he said I could have a crack at the truck after he got the engine out (so naturally I want him to get a 1 ton /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) He tried to blow up the 250 by beating on it, but as you know, that ain't gonna happen. I thought I read here the other day that somebody had Turbocharged one, so I mentioned that to him and he was very intrigued. He could probably find the parts on Ebay, but what all would he need. He's got plenty of room for an intercooler, so he could really crank the boost. I think It would be an awesome sleeper. Any input?

2. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Re: Question for 251 I-6 owners

do you mean the 261ci short block?

LooksBack

3. 4x4dreamer

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif could be. It's the inline 6 that was offered in early 70's Chevy trucks. I could be way off on the C.I.es. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think its a 250I6... i had one in my 69 chevelle... yeah, i know it got replaced, but anyway....
    it had 268,000 miles on it. leaked oil out of EVRY possible place and knocked left and right. still ran. one night on the way home *bang*, and it started running like crap. the girlfiend asked what it was, i said i dunno pulled over, added some oil, and went home. pulled the pan that night and found i broke the crank between 3 and 4. like i said it ran like CRAP, but it got me home still.
    great engines in my mind. but so is any I6.
    if i was him i would keep it. there are a few manufactures out there that make nice hop up parts, but i cant think of any now. do a search for "6 = 8"
    grant

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree...it's a 250 i-6 as I had one in an '81 SWB truck and I tried EVERYTHING to blow it up so I would have a valid excuse to install a v-8. Never happened as that motor just...would...not...die!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    do a search for "6 = 8"

[/ QUOTE ]
    The name of the company is Clifford Performance. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Check 'em out at www.cliffordperformance.com

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

In line GM sixes are way cool . They are not for everyone but they are as reliable as can be in stock form.
    I have ran several 350 SBC's and three 454 BBC's and now I have gone back to an inline 292 six. If he wants low end grunt than an inline six is king ......
    I have wittnessed several 250's that would not die - no matter how much abuse was dished out to them .
    I have really liked all my motors and the roller BBC was extremely powerful but as far as fourwheeling goes the inline six is what fits the bill for me .

Tell your friend to get a book called Inline Six Performance by Leo Santucci - it has all the hop up inline six info you will want to find and than some. The book also covers turbo charging and various cyl. head mods including using a SBC head. It is good reading and very informative .

8. thatK30guy

I want another K10 shortie with a 250 i-6 again. The one I had was run by a 465/208, 10 & 12 bolts with 3.73 gears, 33" tires on 4" lift and the dang thing still got me 18 mpg!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. 4x4dreamer

Great info everyone, thank you. I'll post a pic of his truck someday, it's beautiful...only think I complain about is, it's 2x4 and he's running 33" mudders on it. WTF? I keep telling him that I need those more than he does.

10. thatK30guy

This picture of the blue Chevy down below right here is the '81 K10 with the 250 engine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Another vote here for the "unbreakable" 250-i6. First I tried to kill it in a '69 C20. Truck rotted away so I swapped it into my '66 C10 when the 292 cracked. Beat on it some more, and upgraded to the Clifford 4V intake, Holley carb, and header. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Beat on it some more, and the 12-bolt blew up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Beat on it some more.... I've lent the truck out to a buddy of mine and he beats on it harder than I ever did. I don't get it. Its still driving /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 4x4dreamer

Correction. His truck is a late '60s model. I don't think the engine came stock, but he's gonna run the casting numbers. He's going to try to bring it to work tomorrow so I can snap pics with the digital to post. He really did a first rate job restoring it.

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v built a number of performance inline 6s with gret results. Use the link to Clifford performance as listed in above post. They can help you build An awesome 6 banger. They sell turbos and FI for inlines too.
    The last inline i built was a 300 that I had in a Bronco. It was 9.5 to 1 CR, reworked head, low/midrange cam, 4 barrel manifold /Q-jet, headers, Mallory ign, ect,. It embarased many V8s. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Yeah , I have two '74 trucks both have 292ci In-Lines, and I know for a fact that the 3/4 ton has 380K miles on it it does leaks oil "Rear Main" but still runs both gett great mpg's.

LooksBack

15. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

The turbo 6 your thinking of is probably mine. I was asking around for info the otherday on what it would take to swap it into my 68 4x4. In case your wondering its all stock, and I used a Garret t3/t4 from a Ferd turbo coupe. It feels about the same as a 350 but does alot better on gas.