Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for all dog owners

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dogdaysunrise, Dec 3, 2005.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

How did you train your dog not to bite people? My dog is about 3 and 1/2 months old and really likes to chew on hands. Everytime she does it I give her a smack on the snout, but it doesnt seem to do anything. What worked for you?

Oh and how many of you ladies and gents dog's chases its tail often?

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kinda doggie ya got?

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have a Border Collie so I pretty much see it everyday :haha: for some reason the breed just loves to do that.

As for chewing on hands I would just get a hold of His lip (not pinching just holding) and give him a good sharp NO.
    What kind of dog do You have. Just remember working/hunting dogs that can't let off some of their pent up energy will find other ways of doing it like chewing on stuff or constantly pestering you for attention. Get the dog a ball or something to give it something to do.

4. dogdaysunrise

She is a Huskey and Sheppard cross. She is full of so much energy it doesnt stop.

She is chasing around a stuffed cow with a squeaker in its gut... Really getting annoying during the hockey game :doah:

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

get the dog an appropriate size nylabone to chew. As far as how to prevent hand biting, when he does it, just hold him by the scruff of the neck, with both hands behind the ears, and get nose to nose with him, then say NO very firmly. do it every time, and DO NOT pet the dog after he bites. if you do, you are teaching him that biting = pets. He needs to know that he's the beta dog, and you are the alpha. hitting him when he does it will just wind him up further. be patient, as this will take some time.

Don't be afraid to crate or cage the dog for a timeout if he won't listen.

I learned this while taking my first dog thru obedience school when I was about 10, and it's worked on every subsequent dog, regardless of breed.

Tom

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've always had luck of when I get nipped at, firmly squeeze the nose and top of the pallete in their mouth. They get submissive quickly.

7. dogdaysunrise

Yea we put her in a crate to calm down. She is a great dog so far, like it out in the garage so far. Still isnt sure about being outside on her own however. We dont a fence so we tie her up, but she wants to come in as soon as I do.

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Agreed. However, I have trained dogs that required me hitting them to get there full attention as part of their training. I dont want for that to sound like I abuse dogs or anything, but I think a good appropriately timed under the snout smack can work wonders. If you do need to smack the ol' pup, make sure you are looking him directly in the eyes on his level and sneak up on him with a good smack on his bottom jaw. The dog just sits there wondering where that came from and shazzam, you have their undivided attention. If that doesn't work, try the sweet and sour sauce from Wendy's on them. Whatever you do, don't hit him so that he sees you about to hit him. Some dogs that have been repeatadly hit are forever hand shy and there isn't much you can do to cure it.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

train my dogs,,,Hahahahahaha yeah right. Anybody got a shock collar I can barrow?:crazy:

10. dogdaysunrise

Thats what im worried about. I try not to smack her. I think im gonna try the scruff method first. We are gonna get her into an obidence (sp?) class soon. She is still waiting for her second set of shots, so she can't really be around other dogs yet.

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

all my dogs and friends dogs have learned real FAST to not bite me... they also dont bite others when i am done with them.

its easy really.... grab thier lips or tounge just enought to hold on but not hurt OR put your finger on the back of thier tounge and keep it there for a few seconds. after two or three time of this happening when biting.. they quit for the day. after a couple days.. they just quit.
    Grant

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I see the problem already, and it's a classic one. What You have is basically a working dog that sound like it doesn't really have a chance to let out it's energy. I have the same problem with My dog in the winter time. I know it sucks but I still take him out everyday rain or shine and play fetch with him. It's his substitute for herding livestock which is what he was breed for. Now in You dogs case she would probably love nothing more that to have something strapped to her ass to drag around in the snow, but thats not the case. So now You have to come up with a substitute to take place of her imaginary dog mushing adventures. Does that make since?

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

odd, neither of mine do that. do yours herd the furniture and/or walls?

as for the biting, we broke both of ours of that, and i broke my best friend's Sheltie of the same habit. basically, all we did was grab their lower jaw after they attempted to bite YOU, nobody else, and gently hold it down to their chest. not so much as to hurt them, but more to annoy them. eventually they get the point, and dont bite anymore.

another tip that may come in handy (and may sound cruel) involving getting the dog to come to you on command. start with a 25' or so leash, call the dog. if the dog does not come right away, take the leash, and give it a sharp jerk. actually took our oldes dog off his feet the first time i did it, but it only took 2 times before he learned to come when he is called.

BTW, these arent just some yahoo tips that someone in my family came up with, these were shown to us by a professional dog trainer.

here's some pics of my pooches for good measure.

IMAG0256.JPG

IMAG0257.JPG

14. dontoe

My Husky was so possessive, he ate my hand up badly, three times. I decided to have him neutered after beating the $hit out'a him, and if that didn't work, it was the deep sleep for him. He calmed down a lot, but he'll still wrinkle his lip if you mess around while he's eating or if has a favorite toy. The toy was the reason I got bitten before. He has bitten me once this year, when I pressed him to.
    I'll never get another Husky!

15. dogdaysunrise

I tried to take away her toy yesterday and she bit me and broke skin, I beat her for it, and that hasent happend again since. I have been trying her to see if she will do it again, and she just lets me have the toy.

I take her out every couple of hours to run around for about 20 minutes or so. We run around the yard, and go looking for stuff in the fields.

16. dontoe

Maybe that's all she needed. Mine was the runt of the litter, and only got the leftovers. He looked pitiful when we bought him! He's full blooded, and personalties matter a lot, I think!

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Well in that case maybe she just don't like You :D :haha:

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Don't have that problem with mine . She was nearly a year when I got her , same mix . I don't know what the owners did before they gave her up .

Only thing my dog does is jump up and lick ya if your invited in the house .

She does like to chew up those cool toy tires at Petsmart . As well as nylabones , rawhide , and 74 K5 buckets .

Just stay on her about the biting is all I guess .

Keep stuff around for her to chew . And let her out to run alot . They have so much energy .

Its a real reward though . Having a dog like that is security , and companionship :D

19. dontoe

Jackson......................

[​IMG]

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

When she goes to bite your hand,turn your hand palm up and stick your index finger in her mouth. Then run your finger back and forth across those ridges at the top of her mouth. I have yet to see a dog that likes that, and it has worked for me on several dogs. Just for kicks, get a book on wolf behavior and read up on alpha dog behavior.