Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for all of you running TPI on your rigs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5BLT4FUN, Nov 30, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For those of you running TPI on your rigs. What system are you running, Speed Density or Mass Air Flow? I am planning a winter project and I am trying to gather as much information as possible.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I can help you a little on this. Most people go with the speed density system because it is a little easier to deal with since you don't have a MAF sensor to mount in the air intake system somewhere. However the MAF system is much friendlier with larger cam swaps. I used to run a TPI that was a speed density system and I was very happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Next year I am going to be building a 383 stroker and going with a speed density TPI system again.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mine is a MAF system, simply because that's all that was available when I did the conversion. I swapped in an '87 'vette engine in early '89. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. K5BLT4FUN

Have you had any problems with the MAF sensor breaking while wheeling. Caused either by water or debris entering the airflow or by just the jarring it takes offroading. I have a MAF system, but I am not sure if I may convert it to Speed Density.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The MAF even survived having enough water sucked through it to grenade the block. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That little wire is much tougher than it looks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a MAP setup, it was a very clean and easy instal. FYI you can run big cams on a MAP system, you just need someone whos good with PROMs

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can only go so far with a MAP system since it uses a vacuum source. Big cams reduce engine vacuum and it doesn't matter how good the guy is that programs proms he cannot bring back engine vacuum within the prom.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My 406 had MAP............there was a rumor on thirdgen a while back that you can use a special MAP sensor to allow a bigger cam but it may be BS. Kind of interesting that the FI motors of today all use MAF...........wonder why that is for a stock motor? Must be new technology has improved the MAF sensors.............

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am swapping right now and I am going to go with the MAF setup. I am running it because that is the system I bought. I have been told that SD is possibly more reliable because of the lack of the MAF wire, but I haven't heard of any problems as of yet with that. I will eventually convert to SD but that won't be until I get my next motor built so I know exactly how to build it and what is in it. I want to build the next motor around the TPI system so I can get some sick power. I will probably go with the Vortec TPI base so I can run Vortec heads on the next motor.

10. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

whats up Layne? The ol TBI just isnt doing it for you anymore? TPI is far more complex and spendy than a TBI setup, I'm sure folks out here can agree on that. Just remember, KISS! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Actually, the only difference is 8 injectors vs. 2.........and I think one more sensor (the intake air temp in the plenum). Other than that, all the same. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan, not trying to argue, just that it is really no more complex than any FI system.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

One point on your comment about 'sick power' /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif - with the stock plenum and runners you really won't get as much out of it as you could if you put a better breathing top end on it - such as the LT1 intake, or (forgive me if I get these names wrong) Super Ram or whatever the high flow bolt on replacement is for TPI. TPI motors build outstanding torque but will generally run out of air at around 4800 rpm...........my 406 had all kinds of low end power (could light up 35" SSR's with a Detroit out back from a dead stop by just punching the gas /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) but didn't want to rev over 5K. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

By the way, what lb/hr injectors are you running?

13. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Next year I am going to be building a 383 stroker and going with a speed density TPI system again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I have your existing engine dude?!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

*sorry for the highjack*

14. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    just that it is really no more complex than any FI system.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the MAF or speed density sensor? Not to mention its cost? Thats a part you can not even buy at Autozone (off the shelf) AFAIK...

Again, I'll repeat:

#1. K.I.S.S.!!!
    #2. IT COSTS MORE MONEY!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

TBI's are speed density. They use a MAP sensor just like a TPI setup.

16. K5BLT4FUN

Dan,

I purchased a MAF TPI last year and I am considering installing it to gain some low end torque, hopefully. I am also hoping that it will improve my fuel economy a little. What little information I have read so far says the stock runner setup will get me the low end torque I am looking for. The other reason I am considering it, is the possiblity of building a 383 someday and I what the added flexibility for adding different cams, heads, and exhaust. I am however still just in the information stage of the swap. I may just continue to run the TBI and as you put it KISS. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Hossbaby50

Ya, I know they don't like to go above 4800, but I don't really rev beyond that anyway. I am also looking into TPIS runners, larger throttle body, and possibly different plenum for the next motor. The runners I will likely do because they increase torque but the rest I will see when that motor gets built. If it doesn't need it then I probably won't use it.

18. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Are you looking for a TPI set up? I have one coming up forsale.
    PM me.
    Thanks
    Mike B

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd stay away from the Vortec heads for a TPI swap. The Vortec TPI base is way too expensive when you can get other heads that are just as good or better for the same price, and don't require a $400 intake that requires a custom EGR setup, if you intend to run it.

20. Hossbaby50

I haven't looked into all the Vortec stuff yet, but if it is that expensive then I will probably just go with a World Products head or a AR head. Both those should build some good power for my next motor. This motor is a ways down the line so I have plenty of time to research and plan (hopefully).

Harley