Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for all of you with fender flairs.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm thinking about getting the Bushwacker "Cut out" fender flairs. My question is how well do they hold up ??? I'm not a rock crawler, and try not to bounce off trees in the woods, but I do get limbs scraping down the sides of the K5 from time to time. Will they last, or would I tare them up ???

2. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I had the medium size with minor cut out on my 75 and they held up really well to the occassional brush scraping. They didn't hold up so well to massive flex and 44's. I did crack a couple but some epoxy and fiberglass resin and patched them back together. I know the big flares are a little tougher and should hold up well.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

they do break, and they can be fixed.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running the cut-outs and branches and stuff scratch them but a little wet sanding takes it right out but I never do that... Anyway, stuffing my 40" tires into them cause them to make some weird noises... Including the type associated with cracking. I ripped the bottom of one loose from the body and the points where the screws hold them in tend to crack and fall apart. But, overall there holding up rather well with what I put them through. I cut the inner part out of mine to gain more tire clearance so mine are a little more flimsy than normal.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I just saw a set of bushwacker flairs today getting LineX sprayed on them. The owner of the shop sprayed the bedliner lineX material on the outside of the flair and on the inside of the flair. After it was all done he was hitting them with a hammer and they did not break or crack. I was impressed. If I get the cut outs I will be having them sprayed.
    Colin

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I just saw a set of bushwacker flairs today getting LineX sprayed on them. The owner of the shop sprayed the bedliner lineX material on the outside of the flair and on the inside of the flair. After it was all done he was hitting them with a hammer and they did not break or crack. I was impressed. If I get the cut outs I will be having them sprayed.
    Colin

[/ QUOTE ] Now that's a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

This is kind of long, I had an idea one time, YEAH ME!
    We used expanding foam in the ends of the ladder rungs to keep wind from whistling when they where straped to the ladder rack on the truck. One guy says yeah dont fill the rung completely up it makes the ladder about 10 lbs heaver! The rungs on the fiberglass ladder where aluminum. We beat on it with a sldge and it barely dented.
    While figuring out how to water proof my new weld in inner outer rockers I thought of the expanding foam. SO, I go buy two cams of the triple expanding foam and start spraying. This foam starts coming out of all the little spaces. Needless to say the rockers are SOLID. I would guess you might be able to do the same with the hollow flares?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How wide are the Bushwacker fender flairs ??? I like the look of them.