Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question for all you "officers of the law"**UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Feb 17, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

question for all you \"officers of the law\"**UPDATE

this is not a cop bashing post- so if you've got a hair across your a** from something a cop did to you 30 years ago, dont post....

okay- the scoop.

This morning- 535am to be exact...John gets pulled over on his way to work.....got pulled over in town B.....cop that pulled him over works for Village A....the Village A is 1 square mile inside Town B- which is like 25 square miles or something....but anyway- Village A is who pays the taxes to operate the cop shop...Town B pays NOTHING in support of them...therefor they are Village Cops...

Okay- so anyway- cop says he was doing 60 in a 45. Where John saw the cop, and where the cop turned around speed limit was 50. John says the cummins had just downshifted to go up the hilll...which to him means he wasn't doing 60..as the truck doesnt shift there.....
    anyway- guy with John- one of his workers...had an outstanding warrant for failure to pay a fine. The cuffed and stuffed him, and then the cop says to John ...."mind if I search your vehicle."...so JOhn replies. on what grounds? Cop says- well,after arresting him, that gave us the "right to search the immediate area he was in...the passengar side of the truck"...John says- well if your going to be ripping up my carpet taking out the speakers etc.. your gonna have to find a judge to give you a warrant, but if you just want to do a regular search- go ahead... I've got 9 trucks and 13 guys waiting for me to get to work...5 of the trucks wont start because the fuel gelled...so if your quick I'll sign the paper.."... cop says- oh I'll be quick...

So to make a long story short...can a cop from town A pull someone over in Town B.....this cop in question, was heading south into Town A....he was 3.4 miles from Town A...was not following John out of Town A...was not in pursuit etc....they were going opposite directions.

Did he really have the right to search the immediate area where the passenger was?

Don't they have to show you the radar reading? John said there was no reading when he was in the cruiser...

okay that's it for now...(think this ticket will be fought)

*********************UPDATE*************************

I went down to the local PD this morning to get some information. Our state troopers here, have a print out thing on their radar guns that print all recordings, and also the time/date stamp... I was hoping our local cops had this...they dont.

I asked if I could have a copy of the tape from the cruiser..unfortunetly there is no law that states here in VT that they have to keep the camera running at all times. There is a good chance that nothing is on film. ( I want to see him (the cop) pulling the 3 point turn in the middle of a state highway....thats the reason for the tape...and to see where exactly he turned around)...

I did find out that by town/village statute, these officers are not to leave the village unless 2 things happen. 1. they are in pursuit at the time they leave...and 2 they are responding to another town/village as backup for officers in that area. This officer was on his way back into our village, as he had just pulled over another person 2 miles farther north. .5 miles and he would have been out of the town- he was almost 5 miles out of the village.

The guy with John did not have to give his name/identifiaction. As he was not part of a "criminal act"...it was a traffic stop, which has nothing to do with the passneger... had John known that- etc... The cop would have had to have PC to arrest/detain the passengar until indentity can be found.

John should not have allowed the officer to search the truck...as he would not have found a judge anywhere to issue a search warrant for a speeding stop, with NO PC...which is explained to me as something seen, tastes, smelled....

Anywho- John has retained a lawyer, and we are fighting the ticket. For the simple reason that john was not doing 60, and he knows he wasnt. (this guy just doesnt speed)..

3 points on his license which is a CDL is going to really hurt his insurance. The cost of the lawyer will be much less than this. I have a good friend of mine who is also a local cop here...and he seems to think we will have no problem with this one. I also "found" a memo from the chief dated Thursday stating "Remember we are not to leave the village for patroling, refer to statute blah blah blah....this memo was released at a staff meeting, and all members in attendance signed it....just so happens that the cop that pulled john over was the 1st name on the list.

okay thats it, and no Im still not bashing cops..

Brandy

2. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Re: question for all you \"officers of the law\"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    this is not a cop bashing post- so if you've got a hair across your a** from something a cop did to you 30 years ago, dont post....

[/ QUOTE ] I like that one.

can a cop from town A pull someone over in Town B

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends on your State Statutes/Municipal Ordinances. Some towns/cities have a mutual agreement that a Town A Police Officer can also perform duties as a Town B Police Officer. Most municipal police departments also have an agreement with the County, that a municipal officer can act as a peace officer in the county with the proper commision from the local Sheriff.

Did he really have the right to search the immediate area where the passenger was?

[/ QUOTE ] Yes, We (The fuzz) can search a "wingspan" area of the passenger, driver, etc incident to a lawful arrest. Depending on the circumstances, we can usually search the whole vehicle incident to a lawful arrest.

What that means is after a lawful arrest, we search the area "immediately accesible" to the passenger, such as floor, door, glove box etc. Now, each situation is different and has several independent variables which may/may not be ruled as an illegal search.

Don't they have to show you the radar reading? John said there was no reading when he was in the cruiser...

[/ QUOTE ] Easy answer. NO. This is an urban legend /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

Believe it or not, I (and 90% of the cops I work with) NEVER use my "RADAR LOCK" button. This is to actually to help establish that I have "clocked" the correct vehicle and that a "tracking record" was done and that I have stopped and ticketed the right car/driver.

Hope this helps you out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I got pulled over when I was 17 for going 96 in a 55. He said that he turned his radar gun off and had no proof, so he had to let me go. Is this true or was he just trying to scare the [censored] out of me(he succeeded). He told me to slow down before I blow my little 6-cylinder up(I was driving a 2.8L S-10 Blazer).

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This morning- 535am to be exact...John gets pulled over on his way to work.....got pulled over in town B.....cop that pulled him over works for Village A....the Village A is 1 square mile inside Town B- which is like 25 square miles or something....but anyway- Village A is who pays the taxes to operate the cop shop...Town B pays NOTHING in support of them...therefor they are Village Cops...

[/ QUOTE ]
    To expand on what our local deputy (a deputy with radar, that's a scary thought /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif), also in some states each officer, no matter if they are a local cop, deputy, or a college campus cop is considered a state officer. This is true here in California, plus there is some unwritten agreement about between the sheriffs and chiefs about enforcing laws "out of jurisdiction."

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Believe it or not, I (and 90% of the cops I work with) NEVER use my "RADAR LOCK" button. This is to actually to help establish that I have "clocked" the correct vehicle and that a "tracking record" was done and that I have stopped and ticketed the right car/driver.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You're starting to scare me now, a deputy with radar. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Moabdad is right on all counts. If anyone feels they are treated unfairly they have the option to appear in court and it never bothers me if they do.

Worst case scenario he has to pay the ticket plus some court costs. In many jurisdictions they may even offer some type of deal just to avoid a trial. Depends on how court works in your area.

In Colorado for a minor speed infraction you get a point reduction by mailing the fine in.

Good Luck.

All in favor of no more speeding tickets please raise your right foot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I got into similar spot a fwe months ago.Lost a good car,got charged with possesion and $2500 fine because of now exfriend getting himself out of trouble.He was on supervised probation and had failed suprise test.I was stopped for 55 in 45,no radar proof,the first 45 sign was less than 300 ft from where I stoped.The law took my car to find whatever he siad was in it{never found out what},didn't tow it,took keys and drove it away.Left us on side of highway at 11 pm waiting for someone to come get us.Judge said this wasn't legal,have to tow,but,wouldn't help any.I get mad every time I think about it.Found out what happened from friends in department.The car was supposed to go to impound auction in Nashville,Tn.It simply dissapeared.I don't knock law for doing their job,but,some in this area think they are above the laws and do as they please.Don't mean to offend anyone,but, the ones who think the law doesn't apply to them should be taken down a few notches.When the judge say they didn't do it right and won't help make it right is what upsets me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. MOABDADC22

Re: question for all you \"officers of the law\"**UPDATE

I also "found" a memo from the chief dated Thursday stating "Remember we are not to leave the village for patroling, refer to statute blah blah blah....

[/ QUOTE ]
    and
    Don't mean to offend anyone,but, the ones who think the law doesn't apply to them should be taken down a few notches.

[/ QUOTE ]

We (as cops) have to follow the letter of the law 100% of the time . Sometimes we have to watch John Q Sh!tbag walk away from a rather serious charge because we did not do exactly as the laws of criminal procedure tell us to.

Trust me, it is alot easier to stand in front of a judge/jury and say "Yes, I did this exactly as the Supreme Court has ruled......" than it is to try and explain why you did not follow the rules of criminal procedure.

We as citizens do have the right to refuse a consent search. There is this little thing called PROBABLE CAUSE. I have had to let some drivers/cars go when I would have bet everything I own that they were transporting drugs. The driver said "No" to a consent search and I had no PROBABLE CAUSE to pursue it any further. End of story.

P.S. This is one of the more mature police related posts that I have seen. Thanks.

9. MOABDADC22

You're starting to scare me now, a deputy with radar.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That is Deputy B Fife to you mister. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Which is worse.....a Deputy Fife or a cop that allows his friends to call him Bubba??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Just had "bad" experiences when deputies get ahold of the vehicle code. Bad things, them against us, hijack CHP for allies. Ugly day, don't want a repeat.

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Just want to add.,there were 4 of us in car at time.Three were charged with poss.for one 10gm bag.The person on supervised prob.walked away with nothing.The stuff was his{found that out later}.He should have went to jail just for being in car with us.It may not be like this everywhere,but,if you wear a badge in Lawrence county,TN you're above the law.Johnny Carson once said there were 3 places he didn't want to go 1 was Iraq 2 was Hell 3 was Lawrence county Tn..Never understood why till now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Re: question for all you \"officers of the law\"**UPDATE

John Q Sh!tbag

[/ QUOTE ]
    You know him?!? This guy gets around!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I've heard/read some bad things about law enforcement in your neck of the woods. Probably some CI putz. How far away are ya from Buford Pusser's area?

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

About 40 miles.He was just bad a** with real crooks.Here they like to pick on people who can't afford to fight them.Lately they have gone confication crazy too.In Selma,where Pusser was they have a great car show on Fathers Day.Shut down part of streets one day of it for cruise.Have burn out contest and lots of fun stuff.CARS FOR KIDS.all profits go to kids with head injuries all over the country. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif