Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for anybody running crossover steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jun 19, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I am planning on a 6" lift for the '82 K30 I got from Shawn and also planning on crossover steering. What I want to know is, how did your rig steer WITHOUT the AGR Rock Ram? With so much different news about the Rock Ram, I am having second thoughts on whether to get it or not. So far, I am not going to get it. But I want to know how the steering effort is without it. Do you have to put some "muscle" into it? How much better is it than the stock set up of the pitman arm, short drag link to the steering arm? Is the crossover still worth it and that much better than the stock set up? Thanks.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

2. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

I have a crossover, best thing I ever did. I had a machinist make the arms to fit both sides of my Dana 60, then flipped the tie-rod to the top over the springs out of harms way, as I have a bad habit of pushing them into the oil pan, makes it tough to steer, made my own draglink out of another tie-rod cut to fit,heim joints, put on the 2wd box, and away I go, a also have a locker in front, and I still dont have to strong arm it, it was a breeze when I didn't have the front locked, now theres a little resistance when your wedged in something tight, but putting it to the wood will usually cure that,,lol,, anyways thats what I did, cuz I wasn't paying what they want for those arms and a little tierod,, Im happy,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You have to do at least a cross over conversion. The stock setup rarely gets you full steering, or even partial steering in twisted situations. It does make you drive creatively, since a straight line is best with the stock setup. I've driven over stuff that made people think I was showing off when really I just couldn't go around!

My AGR box and pump with no assist was fine with 36's. The AGR pump with a stock box was not quite good enough for aired down 37's. It would turn if you were moving a little. On asphalt, it would spin them if they were aired up, when aired down it just made noise till you rolled a little. h

The rock ram does not hesitate to turn the wheels, ever. At least not so far. Aired down 42's wedged against a wall didn't seem to phase it.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

When I sent my AGR RAM back to AGR to get them to fix the leak, I had no steering stab (ram), and the truck steered fine on the road. NO bump steer what so ever. Even with no stabilizer. Crossover is a must in my opinion. You lose some right turn when you lift a vehicle even with a raised arm and dropped pitman.
    Well, like I always been saying, (I'm sure you heard before), Hydraulic ram assist steering can be had at half the cost of AGR. And just as good. AGR would be cool if they didn't cost so much. But, yes, I'm still having problems with mine. Hopefully no one will go through the same sh*t I went through with their AGR RAM. Mine problems started right when I recieved the shipment. A box full of mixed up wrong parts....and the problems just kept rolling from there.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Pass on the RAM, and for that matter, the AGR box. It's the "flavor of the month" thing. Crossover, however, is an excellent idea. I've done both my one tons, and plan to do the wife's '90 Suburban one ton. Has anyone ever seen a broken Dana 60 knuckle? I have, and that was without a rock ram. Can you imagine placing a 42 up against a rock and forcing the turn? That'd be kinda ugly trying to limp out with a broken knuckle...and Dana 60 knuckles don't exactly grow on trees!! Save your month people! Buy upgrades that are worthwhile. Both my junkyard 2WD steering boxes are turning their repsective 42" and 39.5" Swampers just fine with crossover steering and standard pump.

ken

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've had my crossover for 2 1/2 years now, Useing an Avalanche arm, junkyard 2wd box, Scout pitman arm, and DOM tubing w/heims. Definitly a worthwhile mod. I would like to add a hydaulic assist at some point. If you're not into rockcrawling, then it's probably not worth the hassle.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd