Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for anyone that has fabricated w/ tubes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Oct 18, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

When welding piping together, does anyone have any suggestions on what method to use when notching out the pipe ends in order to get a flush fit when welding the end of one tube to the side of another? What about when doing angles?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well a notcher works pretty well;)...this one is badass:

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_notcher.htm

And you can cut it in a V on the chop saw, or just grind/torch/plasma some arcs out of it. I've been fishmouthing some with a bench grinder lately and it works allright. It doesn't have to be completely flush, a tad bit of gap is actually a good thing, allows for a little better penetration, kinda like chamfering...In other words, it doesn't have to be perfect.

HTH,
    Bryan

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I bought a tube notcher for 50 bucks at harbor freight tools, and I already had the hole saw

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Just to clarify....there IS difference when you refer to "tube" and "pipe"....they are not the same thing. My guess in this case is that we are talking about tubing? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, a holesaw jig can make the cut VERY precisely. From what I've heard, it's actually TOO perfect and doesn't leave a "valley" to lay the weld into. I bought a punch-style notcher which can do fishmouths also, but leaves a more blunt edge, which will hopefully be better for welding.

It's not to say that a holesaw style can't work, I think you just need to spend a little extra time prepping the cut so that it's got a better shape for the weld.

Anyway....I'm FAR from an expert, but thought that would give you some things to consider. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

That Vansant (or should I say, JD2) one is what I have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I use a variety of methods from chop saw to hole saw to angle grinder, depending on the joint. In any case, for something as critical as a roll bar joint, I ALWAYS cut a 45* chamfer on the end before welding. I want to be 100% sure I get a good weld all the way around.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Whatever Russ says....GOES!

He is one of my heros. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ps. Hey Russ, I got about 600 feet of tubing delivered to my house this morning! I'm eating Weaties and getting ready for some serious bending FUN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, the world must be hurting for heros! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Congrats on the pending project. Looking forward to the updates and pics!