Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question for anyone who has rolled their rig...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Nov 9, 2005.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Is a roll cage absolutely needed in a slow roll? How about if I was climbing a steep grade and flopped backwards onto the roof? I'm not planning on rolling my rig but there's a trail up here called Ma'Belle and everyone that goes up here rolls at one point or another (90% Jeeps and they've been giving me crap for not trying the trail yet). I've got a fairly low COG with 6" of lift, a flexible suspension. The heaviest parts of the truck are the 44" tires on 12" wide steel rims, 1-ton axles, SM465 and the 205. There isn't much of a body on my K5 but the cab portion is still intact. I doubt I'll take any trail that I'm not comfortable with and I'm not afraid to crush the body of this truck, I'd just rather not have my head crushed with it. :doah:

If you have any pictures of a rolled rig please post them so I don't try this trail without the proper safety equipment.

2. crimescene

crimescene Registered Member

I have rolled two times, one a slow roll, and the other a faster fishtail into a roll. Both times the roof collapsed all but the very rear section, both times hit my head on the part that caved in, the fishtail roll it was a good thing I had no passenger that side went real far down. I always run a roll cage now,

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

End over end roll=major injuries. Tell your friends to STFU. I run a full exo,and I'm still nervous when it starts to roll.
    Even with an internal and exo cage it is still possible to die if you roll onto a rock in the wrong spot.

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Better to put in a cage and live that be tempted by your friends and end up dead cause you didn't have one.

5. TruckNutzDude

I'm thinking internal cage should be fine... Anyone vote external is better???

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's kind of a tough question to answer. The typical roll, or more accurately a "lay over", that I see on a trail is when the vehicle is already tilted to the side pretty good and then just flops to the side. This is pretty minor and typically anything with a factory hardtop or any sort of rollbar is plenty. However it's the unexpected rolls that get you, and anything that's more than just going from your tires to the side. Doing a roll from the wheels over backwards to the top is almost always going to be pretty bad and there is no way I would count on the stock roof to hold up.

For pure rollover safety, usually an internal cage is better. The vehicle's outer body kind of acts like a crumple zone before the cage hits, and an internal cage is also usually easier to brace. The external cage, in my opinion, is mainly useful to also help protect the body from damage or if interior room is a major issue but is harder to brace from side to side.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have a beefy internal cage and a mild cab exo (for the windshield when it flops). I am still scared of going over backwards. Also if you don't have doors on don't even think that the roof can support anything. Those doors are a structural part to the roof in a roll.

I vote cage, even a simple 4-6 pont "basic" cage will do well.

8. TruckNutzDude

I'm with you guys on anything but a flop not being safe. From what I understand most of the rolls are just "flops" but the last time I was there a guy in a heep was going down a steep grade and flopped it forewards onto the window. Things like that are what make me not want to try anything till the cage is in and the cage won't be in for at least another year as I'm too poor to afford one. Heck, I can't even pay someone to install my gears! I guess I'll just wait till the snow melts and maybe by then I'll be able to play with the little guys (Jeeps on 35's are like power wheels compared to my full size on 44's :pimp: )

9. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i rolled down a hill 3 1/2 -4 times in my old 78 blazer that had a 6 inch lift.The main hoop held perfect while the windshield portion caved in. The shell also held. I now have a 75 and have installed a full cage.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

By the way what year is your rig?

10. TruckNutzDude

My rig is an '89. I have a hard top, doors and a window frame from a '73 kicking around in the back for when I crush mine. (tried to sell it several times and the buyers always backed out) The plans are for a full cage eventually or to s-10 it, not sure yet. Your rig looks like it survived pretty well and as much as I think I could do that I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass. Though, if I get the chance to do the easier trails I'll make sure to bring a video camera and a digi cam so you guys can see what happens. :thumb:

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Internal that is tied to the frame and reinforced is the strongest. An exo also, will keep all of the stress from 1 or 2 points on the internal. I say both is best, but from a choice of the 2, the proper internal will do a better job of saving your life.

12. prossett

prossett 1/2 ton status

Where can you bolt an in-cab cage to if you don't want to cut down into the frame?

13. TruckNutzDude

I was thinking of a combination of sandwich plating the body and tying it into the bolts that go through the body mount bushings. This would still require the floor to be cut to get to the body bolts though. I'm considering going with the "jegster" cage. I think their 8-point 1-3/4" x .134 should be fine and I'll add my own bracing and a seat bar to everything is tied together.

Has anyone had experience with the JEG's roll cage kits? The price is hard to beat even if the fit isn't all that great. I was thinking of an S&W kit but they're about two times the cost. :doah:

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

nobody ever plans on rolling their rig.
    **** happens, go prepared

15. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Weld a big brace into the frame that wil locate it at a point where you can bolt through. Like stated earlier, sandwich plates on top and bottom.

16. TruckNutzDude

What I meant was... "I'm not planning on rolling my rig this time" I do plan on rolling it, actually, I'm looking foreward to rolling it at some point. I want to be prepared first. Good seats, harnesses, cage, battery kill switch and fire extinguishers are all part of the plan. I might also need an onboard air system to re-inflate my tires since side loads and me seem to not like each other (I always lose a bead!!!)

I double checked S&W's site and changed my mind, they're only a few bucks more than Jeg's and I like what I hear from their customers better. I was thinking they offered a 2" kit at one point but I'll have to ask the customer service rep. when I have time to get on the phone w/ them. I think I'll have a cage by Thanksgiving if all goes well and maybe my gears will be in too! :D

17. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

when i rolled it was all stock except the 6" suspention and the 35" tall tires. And I as well as others were surprised how well the blazer looked for what had happened. NO ONE GOT HURT either thank god.

Soon as i get some pics with the top off. i will show how my cage work was done in the 75. The cage goes through the dash just like a race car. instead of coming down infront of the dash.

Oh and by the way. After my blazer was rolled back over on all four's. We fired her up and drove back to camp. LOL...:eek1:

18. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Wow Jeff I wasnt aware you ever rolled your rig :eek1: