Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

QUESTION FOR CARB GODS!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUB-ZERO, Nov 30, 2002.

1. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I have a 86 k2500 Suburban with a 350 and turbo 400.I want to replace the stock carb with a Edelbrock 600 and the intake with a Edelbrock Air-gap.Summit Racing says that I can't use a aftermarket carb cause they are not compatible with my computer.Is this true?Can't I do away with all that?I believe this truck is emissions excempt cause it has no cats and no catalyst stickers and is 3/4 ton.Can anyone help me?

2. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Just tell them that it's for a 1974 Suburban. They stop worrying about the "legalities" and such!

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A CARB!!! Buy fuel injection! Seriously. I am just now getting rid of my Edelbrock 1910 QJet that I ran for the last 10 months. I was kinda happy with it at first but in the last month, its really started to give me problems.

Look at the money you plan to spend on the new carb intake and other misc stuff to do the rebuild. Then look at customefis.com. He sells a COMPLETE carb-to-EFI kit for the SBC engine for $840. He uses easily found GM parts that were used in EFI systems from 87-94.

Ask around before you make your purchase. EFI will beat the snot out of a carb off road, and on road too. Tell John that Dan sent you. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just my .02!

-Dan

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I agree, go with fuel injection, or send my brother and e-mail. He works in the Carb department at Jet performance. It's m_valencia@hotmail.com, make sure you put "carb work" in the subject line.

5. andyzach

andyzach Registered Member

i have the same carb combo and intack on my car. 350cev .030 over 10.2:1 flat top pistons world product heads 2.02/1.64 valves roller everything. it runs all right but the carb sucks. a good carb to use is a demon road junior. 650 cfm. the edelbrok always runs rich even with small jets and big metering rods. if your moter is stock you will hate it it will sputter off the line no mater what. give you [censored] milelage. for a manifold you are better off with a tourqer style. if you need upper rpm power a holly street/stip dominator is a good choice. if you have 10.5: or greater compression a 600 edelbrock wiil work becouse the compression will help burn the excessive fuel it dumps in. for a stock moter i would recomend the holley 2bbl pro jection. you can esaly eliminate all the computer bs. remove glove box 4 bolts hold the computer in. un plug it and pull wires through 3" hole next to heater box. the factory computer dosnt help the truck run better just turns a light on in dash if a sensor reads a tad bit different.if a demon is too expensive at least buy a holley truck avenger carb iv hear nothing but good from others about it. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Don't get the Edelbrock 600cfm, that's for on-road only. You'll hate it. It will stall on weird angles or washboards. Get an Edelbrock Q-jet instead, or the new Truck avenger from Holley.

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Send your old q jet to Jet carbs like the one post said. I sent them a core and got back a killer carb. I have to say its the best carb I have ever had. Almost like fuel injection. It is so smooth. I have had it installed for over a year and have never had a on or off road problem.

8. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Watch out using open or partially open plenum intakes. This can harm or kill your low end and fuel mileage (do you care about mileage?)